Forks not going through travel - just need a service?

Ferrals
Ferrals Posts: 785
edited January 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
To add to my list of bike woes, I realised yesterday that as well as my front brake failing my forks weren't going through all the travel (nearer half) and the rebound was slow. I have had them for a year and I haven't yet had them serviced :oops: it was on the to-do list. Just so I can figure out my finances.. Is it likely that just a service will fix this or is it likely that something is broken inside? a week or so ago I came over a small rooty drop and it felt like the forks didn't absorb it at all but I figured it was a one off.
If it's probably just a service I'll see if the shop can do it while I wait to find out what's going on with the warrenty - but if it's likely to be more than that I will ignore it for the time being!

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    A service could fix it or they could be fooked. Impossible to tell really. What fork is it? Some cheap ones aren't worth getting professionally serviced.
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    They are rs sektors so relatively decent, cheaper internals but same externals as revs. Worth servicing, and worth fixing within reason, but if it seems like it's going to cost a few hundred quid to fix, buying something else heavily discounted on crc would make more sense. Maybe I'll try to service them myself and see what happens as a bit reluctant to pay £80 or whatever for a service if they are knackered!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Dead easy DIY service, I do my daughters Rev's no problem, just be aware that when stripping it down the damper oil has the ability to go everywhere and can stain some materials, so wear old clothes!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.