pedal issue - worn plate?

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
edited January 2015 in Workshop
Hi all,

The last couple of rides i have noticed a problem with my pedals.
I am using shimano 5700 105 pedals which have been completely faultless since i bought them about 6 months ago. This set have covered just over 4000miles.

Due to the weather (ice) i have stayed on the rollers for the last couple of weeks, but i managed to get out for a ride on Thurs when the problems started. Basically i noticed that both feet had more movement/float than normal and after an hour of the ride my knees began to ache.

I cut the ride short and when home thoroughly inspected them. The springs didn't seem loose but i decided to tighten the tension anyway. I removed them from the bike to check the bearings and both feel silky smooth.
I put them back on the bike and thought i better check the cleats (yellow shimano cleats). These were brand new just before xmas so i was fairly confident it wasn't them but thought it best to check. Anyway, cleats were tight and have very little wear.

I didnt manage to ride on friday or yesterday but went out for a spin this morning. I decided to wear another pair of shoes (with different, brand new shimano blue cleats). Exactly the same issue. The shoes don't unclip by accident, but there is so much movement in them. The blue cleats are supposed to have 2' of float, but my feet were both pretty much swivelling constantly on the pedal. And once again, after an hour my knees were aching.

So i'm pretty confident its the pedals. Any ideas what its likely to be causing this issue? The only thing i can think of is the pedal plates, but have looked at both and they barely have a mark on them and look far from worn.

I'm going to switch the pedals for the next ride, but would like to find out what has caused this issue. Especially as all my bikes have shimano 105 pedals.

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    Service them - likely they need new grease after all those miles
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Its a weird one as the more float you have the better they are meant to be for troublesome knees. I use speedplay because the amount of float and movement has helped stop my knees from getting painful, which they did from time to time using SPD-SL yellow cleats.

Is there as possibility the screws on the cleats are loose and its the cleat moving on the shoe and not the contact with the pedal ?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    lpretro1 wrote:
    Service them - likely they need new grease after all those miles

4k miles is not a lot for a set of pedals, and the bearings won't be the cause anyway.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    I had the same issue about 6 months back, although with R540's not 105's.

For me it wasn't the plate but the frame of the pedal where the cleat hooks/sits. It was much worse on my left pedal as that's the foot I clip in/out at junctions etc. I read that you could wrap the edge of the pedal with duct/gaffa tape, and it does help but I eventually replaced the pedals.
  • redvision
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I am now pretty confident it is the pedals. I have tried 3 different shoes all with different cleats and same issue with each. Last night i tested the shoes & cleats on the pedals on my race bike and whilst i only stood on them (didnt ride it) there didn't seem an issue and the float felt normal.

I have bought another set of pedals this morning and will test them out tonight so will be able to determine if it was the pedals once and for all.
    If it is, is it worth claiming on warranty from shimano?
  • redvision
    Just an update.
    Switched pedals and went out last night for 30miles using the same shoes and cleats as last week (when the problems started). Absolutely no issues! No aches in the knees and feet felt secure when clipped in - no excessive movement.
    So think its safe to say that it was the other pedals.

Being kaput after just 4k miles I think I am going to return them to wiggle for inspection and to see if i can claim on Shimano's (2 year) warranty.

Thanks for the comments and advice.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    redvision wrote:
    Just an update.
    Switched pedals and went out last night for 30miles using the same shoes and cleats as last week (when the problems started). Absolutely no issues! No aches in the knees and feet felt secure when clipped in - no excessive movement.
    So think its safe to say that it was the other pedals.

Being kaput after just 4k miles I think I am going to return them to wiggle for inspection and to see if i can claim on Shimano's (2 year) warranty.

Thanks for the comments and advice.

glad you solved it in the end. Would be good if you can update us all with how you get on with Shimano on the warranty claim.