How to clean bike covered in mud - UPDATE

redrabbit
redrabbit Posts: 93
edited March 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
I've read that jet washing a bike isn't great. So I guess the alternative is bucket and sponge?

The problem with this, is yesterday I did a sportive which was through flooded swamps, muddy tracks, which has left a thick crust of mud ALL over the bike.

I kinda thing the jet wash is the only option?

Or is there a trick to washing a bike as dirty as this?

Thanks

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Rinse with hose, scrub with sponge
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Garden hose to soften and remove the bulk of mud. Bucket of hot (nicer on the hands!) soapy water and sponge or car brush (I use a big brush and a small brush for hard to get at places) to wash it down. Then back to the garden hose to flush it all off.

Mind you, last time I washed it I had to pull lumps of mud off with my hands before I got started with the hose.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Unfortunately no hose or access to one. I live in a block which has no outside taps or houses.

I could use the bath but that might be messy
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    How do you have a jet wash with no hose? Or do you mean a garage jobby? You can do it, just be aware it will fuck your bearings up. It's how all pro bikes are washed.
  • njee20 wrote:
    How do you have a jet wash with no hose? Or do you mean a garage jobby? You can do it, just be aware it will fark your bearings up. It's how all pro bikes are washed.

We have a jet wash in work, or alternatively could go to garage

I think I will have to on this occasion as its literally caked thick in mud in every area
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Mud doesn't matter if your drive train is clean and lubed
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    If you are going to use a pressure washer, at least wind the pressure to the minimum and try not to point it straight at bearings, hubs, bottom bracket, suspension seals etc.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    What chunkers just said. If you have to, just let the mud dry and then you should be able to poke/brush it off.
  • UPDATE

So I used a power washer to clean the bike as we have one at work and the mud was deep in the pedals, the tyre had doubled in size due to the mud drying and just getting into every millimetre of the tyre. There didn't seem much choice.

Before cleaning the tyre when spun made a real gravely noise, like metal on metal. This is coming from the brake disk area I think

After cleaning it was the same.

I've not used any lubricants, oils, cleaning fluids on it. My GFs bike which is virtually brand new is the same after the mud got stuck to it.

if I spin the tyre now, it does go round, but just scratchely and really unsmoothly.

Any ideas on how to treat this?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yup, take it for a ride, it'll stop after a bit, or just pore lots of water through the brake calliper.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Been using pump sprayers for a while on mine had no issue, pressures enough to push off the mud but not enough to breach seals from what ive found.

Also expect some brake squeal while the brake pads dry out.

This is what I have
    Hozelock_Killaspray_7_Litre_Sprayer_4607_Large.gif
  • I used to live in a block with no outside tap. In these cases, i knocked the thick mud off, sprayed the bike with muc off (other alternative brands available!) and then got a brush that would normally go on the end of a hose with a bucket of hot water with a cup of muc off (other alternative brands available!) solution in it and scrubbed.
    Refill bucket with plain hot water and rinse.
    As most the posts say above, keep your disks free of lube or chain spray.. lube the chain etc and you should be fine!

To be honest though, muc-off is the nuts!!
  • Mud dry's. Use a stiff hand-brush to remove it all, give the chainset a good brush off with a chainset brush and claw type thing, I use cheap baby wipes (non-moisturising) on the frame, forks and chain, then gt85 cables and chain and lube the bits you lube. Easy peasy. When really shitttty, the hand pump sprayers are ideal.
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Step83 wrote:
    Been using pump sprayers for a while on mine had no issue, pressures enough to push off the mud but not enough to breach seals from what ive found.

Also expect some brake squeal while the brake pads dry out.

This is what I have
    Hozelock_Killaspray_7_Litre_Sprayer_4607_Large.gif

Plant sprayers are awesome bike washers, however I can never be arsed anymore so I just wait for it all to dry, wipe the fork, shock, reverb and lights with a wet cloth, soak same cloth in WD40 or GT85 and wipe the chain and cassette down, lube it up the night before the next ride. I have a multi layer protective mud coating on everything else.
  • bagz3
    bagz3 Posts: 253
    I just let it dry, brush off and lube up. Far easier and less mess.