Routes around S Peak distrct?

bigpikle
bigpikle Posts: 1,690
I'm looking for some route suggestions please for the southern Peak district - for when the weather improves.... Ideally based from the Ashbourne/Leek/Matlock sort of area as I'll be driving up from the south to do the ride. 80-120km approx distance and ideally scenic roads with some good climbing please.

I just dont know the area well enough to plan a route in advance so would like to find a good starting point from which I could explore in future. Appreciate some suggestions from those that know the good roads.

Thanks
Your Past is Not Your Potential...

Comments

• norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    From Leek you aren't very far away from the Goyt Valley - if you look at the Peaks Epic Sportive site and download the medium route you have a tremendous 63 mile/7,300ft of climbing route on virtually all quiet back roads and single tracks. From the Goyt Valley it goes over Axe Edge Moor, towards Bakewell, Great Longford, Pyms Chair etc. The actual sportive starts and finishes in Bakewell but you can just follow the route from wherever you join it.

If you do join at the top of Goyt Valley though, the 20 miles to Bakewell are the easy part and you'd have a very tough
    last 40 miles. Most climbs are just long rather than steep, though Pyms chair is around 23% in parts and some climbs are 3+ miles.

I did it several times towards the end of last year and absolutely loved it, breathtaking scenery and very very quiet roads but tough with all the climbing. The nature of many of the roads (unsighted bends, gravel, single track) makes it difficult to get much speed up even on descents, so leave yourself plenty of time so complete the course. It took us about 5hrs moving time though obviously if you're mega fit and on your own you may well do it quicker.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Sounds a decent shout but it does depend what kind of riding you want - small lanes or do you prefer to be able to roll along at a reasonable pace and whether you want to do some of the better known climbs - Cat and Fiddle and Winnats are probably the best known in that area.

You might want to take into account driving time too - Derby to Bakewell or Leek isn't that far but once you are off the M1 and dual carriageway it can add a bit on the journey.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Derbymercury.org.uk if it's a Saturday or sunday we will have club runs going.

Enjoy.
  • FELTZ95
    FELTZ95 Posts: 90
    This route theoretically starts from Bakewell, but could quite easily start from Matlock / Cromford if you prefer

http://velotastic.co.uk/peak-district-challenge/the-velotastic-mini-me/

Loads of great climbs and fantastic scenery
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    Some nice roads and climbs around the Churnet Valley that'd take you from Ashbourne to Leek.
  • This page on the Ashbourne Cycling Club website is really good. I'm not a member but I have stolen a couple of the routes from this site.

http://ashbournecyclingclub.co.uk/club-routes/

There is an interactive map showing all of the climbs and coffee stops and all of the routes are sorted by distance.
  • pmannion9
    pmannion9 Posts: 280
    If your coming up for a weekend why not join Ashbourne Cycling club on a Saturday ride?
    Normally head into hills once weather improves.
    Get in touch via our Facebook page..
    Meet in summer at 8:30am at Leisure Centre - 9am over Winter..

This is a good route when dry:
    http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/324530548

Enjoy yourself...

Paul.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    To be honest there are better routes in the area than that.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    thanks all - I really appreciate the guidance. My preferred choice would be a scenic route on reasonably quiet roads but not so quiet/isolated that I could easily get lost or stranded in the event of a mechanical etc.

The idea of joining a club ride is a good one although my initial idea was to grab a weekday ride when I have a free day. I'll check out those routes and see where it takes me.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...