Spanky oozy stem

Ferrals
Ferrals Posts: 785
edited January 2015 in MTB buying advice
Has anyone got one? They say it is true zero degree rise, but don't specify what head angle that is based on! The bar clamp is dropped rather than the stem being angled I think, but they don't say by how much..
I'm looking for a 55-70 stem with a decent amount of negative rise and this might do the trick but it's hard to find info on the product, I tried to contack spank but the captcha thing wasn't working.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Had one. It just didn't clamp the steerer very well, every minor fall meant straightening the bars. Also you can't have any spacers above the stem as it has a weird top cap.
  • Ferrals
    Sounds like One to avoid!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If you want negative rise (drop?) then just fit any stem upside down.
    Raceface Chester is pretty good value and quality.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    If you want a lot of drop then Bontrager do a lot of +/- 17 degree stems, which won't break the bank.
  • Ferrals
    Cheers. I think I'm going to have a trip to the bike shop and see what stems they have to look at as I'm not sure exactly what I want and don't want to waste cash on the wrong one.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A zero degree stem is zero degrees referenced from the steerer, so will rise by 90-head angle degrees compared to the horizontal.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ferrals
    Yeah, I understand that. I figured that the spank 'true zero rise' meant they had designed it so the bar clamp was in line horizontally with the steerer clamp but clearly that would vary depending on head angle.
    The minor difficulty i have is that I have no spacers below (or above) my stem and my head angle is slack (66.5 deg)so i'm not sure whether too steep a negative rise would catch the head tube or not and even a -17deg rise stem would actually give a below horiz. drop (at least it would be less high that a zero deg stem though!).
    Never got round to looking at stems yet - I'm going to have to get a protractor out to see what will actually fit. I'm liking the look of this though (so it matches my bar :oops: ): http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/east ... -prod47156
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Syntace do a proper negative drop stem designed not to interfere with the headtube. "Flatforce" I think it's called.
  • Ferrals
    That looks just the sort of thing - shame its so expensive!
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Can be found cheap(er) on ebay, but that's before the customs and VAT you might get charged.