What tyres for CX sportive?

roubaixtom
roubaixtom Posts: 316
edited February 2015 in Cyclocross
Hi,

Taking part in a CX sportive this weekend which i will be doing on my cross bike. Im posting in road as 60% of the course is on road. However the other 40% is on bridleways and farm tracks.

Idealy i want a tyre that will roll well but also grip on the off road sections.

The two i have to choose from are:

Schwalbe Land Cruisers
Schwalbe-Land-Cruiser-B-400x400.jpg

Or

The Giant tyres that came with it
GIANT_P-SLX2_ANYROAD_TYRE.jpg

cheers

Comments

• As the events on Sunday i have to Choose from what i have in the shed. But they look good.
  • Your doing the Chiltern wildwood? I did it last year.... weather was horrific! I'd take the giants and just go steady on the semi technical rocky descent and muddy wooden section.
  • yes i am. Do you think land cruisers are slightly more than needed?

The land cruisers roll well on the road. Weather looks good for sunday. Well, no rain.
  • Depends. I would say 85% + of the route is what you would class as a road surface. Lanes, main roads, fire roads etc.
  • I have been in the Chilterns recently... it's mostly deep bog
    left the forum March 2023
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    This time of year I would go for the most aggressive tread you can get. I rode a bridleway the other day with a stream running through it and a farm track that had about 8" deep mud!

I hope your ride is a little better than that!
  • Perhaps take the advice of the person who rode the event last year in the worst rain imaginable?

It won't matter if it's a bog or the bridleways are only fit for submarines as the route does not go onto these surfaces.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    antsmithmk wrote:
    Perhaps take the advice of the person who rode the event last year in the worst rain imaginable?

It won't matter if it's a bog or the bridleways are only fit for submarines as the route does not go onto these surfaces.

Vic_Bob_Handbags.jpg

Rain makes a tremendous difference to sticky conditions as the high moisture content means the mud gets washed off the bike. I'd echo what Ugo and Paul said, having recently ridden some local bridleways, I'd go for the most aggressive tread I had.
  • andyp wrote:
    antsmithmk wrote:
    Perhaps take the advice of the person who rode the event last year in the worst rain imaginable?

Vic_Bob_Handbags.jpg

Rain makes a tremendous difference to sticky conditions as the high moisture content means the mud gets washed off the bike. I'd echo what Ugo and Paul said, having recently ridden some local bridleways, I'd go for the most aggressive tread I had.

I love internet forums.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Did you ride the Woodcote sportive today with these tyres? Was it rideable? I wonder if there is anywhere south of Scotland one can ride a bike off-road at the moment or that's not an indoor velodrome :-P
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Paul 8v
    The route doesn't go on to mud apart from the aforementioned muddy wooded section and a semi slick tread would be perfect for a semi technical rocky descent in the wet...

Looking forward to the post ride pictures!
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    The route doesn't go on to mud apart from the aforementioned muddy wooded section and a semi slick tread would be perfect for a semi technical rocky descent in the wet...

Looking forward to the post ride pictures!

In 60km there is approx 1km where you might justify the choice of really aggressive tread. Surely logic dictates you fit something more suited to road with a little off road, than for the off road tyre? I'm pretty sure last year some riders were doing it on 28mm gatorskins.
  • Paul 8v
    You can understand my confusion. OP says 40% offroad, you say 15% is not a road surface then it's 1km out of 60. It's hard wprk judging with these figures...
  • Anyone who did the sportive yesterday know when results and photos will be up?
  • Paul 8v
    The website says the pictures should be up later today.
  • cheers, the cxsportive.com site?
  • Probably a little late to the party, but I did 5/6 CX Sportives last year, and have one this coming weekend. Did them all on Land Cruisers, just varied the tyre pressure. depending on conditions.

I picked them as most of the 3 Peaks CX guys seem to use them, and they are cheap!! anyway, not a problem to date, and even did one CX race with them on this season, as I forgot to swap onto my full mud pluggers. I did struggle a bit on that terrain though ;-(.
  • Paul 8v
    Roubaixtom wrote:
    cheers, the cxsportive.com site?
    The results are up but no pictures yet. How did you get on?