Replacement CX Mechanical Disc Brakes ... GO!

kevinharley
kevinharley Posts: 554
edited January 2015 in Cyclocross
I've got a Saracen Urban Hack 1 (2013) with Promax Cable disc brakes. The brakes seem to be a cheap avid BB5 rip-off. The adjustment dial for the inner pad seized recently, and I've mangled the plastic dial AND the allen bolt in trying to free it up. Won't budge, needs new pads but I can't wind back the dial to get the new pad fitted.

Incidentally, I had the same problem on my Boardman hybrid fitted with BB5's.

So, what is the go-to, budget but effective road/cx cable disc brakes? CRC do the BB7 at £45 per end (incl rotors, which I don't really need), or the Shimano CX77 at £35 (which gets a 4* bikeradar review).

So, which of the two, or anything else I should consider?

Comments

• Hayes Experts would be my recommendation, I had a pair of their CX5's (predecesor to the Expert) and found them to be very good, I would buy them again.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hayes-cx-expert-disc-brake-140mm-rotor/rp-prod85501
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    There's not really any point in going to BB7 if you screwed BB5 as they run the same inner adjuster - you need to learn to maintain them. They run a fine thread and fine threads are both prone to corrosion and very strong - especially at that diameter. Coating them with Coppaslip or another anti-seize compound when new would help.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • TRP Spyre are very good.

I have have Avids seize up both BB5 & BB7
  • Running Shimano Sora on my CX. Very cheap extremely easy to setup.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... prod120014

I can not advise on longevity as only been running them for a few months, but seem effective, certainly worked when used a commuter/winter road bike in the wet, and were impressive on my first CX race the other weekend (although I certainly put some wear on the pads!)