SPD Spacers

gcwebbyuk
gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
edited January 2015 in MTB general
I have a left leg that is about 0.5cm shorter than my right, which is starting to cause me problems with saddle height.

I have seen that you can get spacers for road cleats, but I can't find any for MTB cleats. Any idea where they can be bought? The other alternative is to put a foam wedge in the heel of the shoe, but would rather go for an external spacer than make the shoe possibly uncomfortable.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Doubt I would notice 5mm, but could'nt you get different size crank arms?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • gcwebbyuk
    gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
    Yeah I guess that is a possibility.

I notice the problem in two places depending on which leg I adjust the saddle for (and only really when on a turbo trainer seated for long periods). If I adjust the saddle for my longer (right) leg, I get pain deep in the hip flexor on the left hand side. If I lower the saddle to suit my left leg, my right knee feels awkward and sometimes uncomfortable.

I currently have it lowered to suit my left leg.

I have seen a physio who has suggested it could be my pelvis is mis-aligned due to a foo-bar lower back. He has suggested using foam under my heel for walking.
  • Are these "spacers" of which you speak not called "washers"?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I believe so. You'll struggle to make the current bolts fit with washers of that depth. They are also made of sterner than your average steel as well as having weird shaped heads.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    TBH use road shoes and pedals easier to shim. MTB cleats cut into the sole so as not to move so you are going to have fun, not to mention the bolts.

and as it is only when on the trainer.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    edited January 2015
    EDITED TO REMOVE IDIOCY

No better suggestions at the moment, good luck in your plight.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I don't set my saddle to within 5mm in the first place and never have a problem, so would suggest your issue is not caused by the 5mm difference.

You could try a 172.5mm crank on the short side? That would at least halve the difference.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.