9 speed cassette too wide for freehub????

nixoncreative
nixoncreative Posts: 80
edited January 2015 in Workshop
Wondering if anyone else has experienced this and can offer any sage advice...

A mate of mine has a Btwin 500 (9 speed) and has recently bought some Shimano R501 wheels (8,9,10 speed compatible), he came over last night for some help in changing the cassette over (Sun Race). Having removed said cassette and put it on the R501s the last cog (12t I think) would not go on far enough to engage on the freehub body meaning it just spun freely.

No matter how many times I removed the cassette and replaced it I couldn't get the last cog on properly, I checked for any rogue spacers etc. and found none, after a few minutes head scratching I removed the cassette and put it back on the old rear wheel and the same thing was happening with this as well, the lock ring did thread on and I could tighten it up so it didn't rotate by hand but surely the last cog should engage with the freehub shouldn't it?

Does any one have any ideas or aware of any incompatibility problems :?

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    It should fit. There are no compatibility issues that I'm aware of. I fitted a 9spd sunrace cassette the other day and it went on fine. The only thing I can thing of is that someone has changed the spacers for wider, 8spd ones...?

Anyway, low end Shimano cassettes are cheap.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    as above. Sram/Shimano/SunRace 8/9/10all use the same freebody.
    no spacers other than any between the cogs. cant remember if SunRace have them separate.

But many of the smallest cogs don't fully slide onto the body so check its splines for any damage and also check you can fit the lock ring with just the small cog only in place.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks chaps, I think I might get him to buy a cheapo shimano cassette to test and see. The problem cassette came on the factory Btwin wheels so unless the chimps that built the bike put in the wrong spacers, not beyond the realms of possibilities I suppose. Having bought and replaced many a cassette on my own wheels without a hitch this was really giving me a head scratcher.