(ultra) light rims…?

stefano
stefano Posts: 254
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi,

For the last years, I use a wheelset I build myself with Formula hubs, DT spokes and Mavic CXP22 rims that proved very reliable and lasted about 3 years riding about 30 miles a day in London streets. I am now building a lightweight wheelset for my new lightweight fixed bike project, with 32 3cross spokes. Hubs: Token - Spokes: Sapim CX-Ray. - Rims: ???

I am about 190 lbs (i.e. about 85k) and considering the following rim options:

- Ultra-light: Stans Alpha 340 (2 x 340g = 680g)
They supposed to be strong even for cyclocross, though, the problem with these rims is that they are for tubeless tyres and I read some bad reviews when used with normal tyres.

- Light: Kinlin XR200 (2 x 385g = 770g)
Are they strong enough for everyday use?

- Light- ish: F: Kinlin XR200, R: Kinlin XR19WT rear (385g+405g = 790g)
This is slightly stronger combination with a bit stronger rear rim with single eyelets.

- Medium-light: Mavic Open Pro (2 x 435 = 870)
I think that these rims will do the job but if lighter is possible…why not?

- Medium: Mavic CXP33 (2 X 470g = 940g)
They are definitely strong and aero looking good but they a bit towards the heavy side…

How much light rims can I use without compromising reliability…?

Comments

• With fixed gear and no dish you can use any rim you like... you don't need big tension and any rim will build stiff... considering you wn't fly down the Galibier you don't need wider rims either, so the Kinlin looks a good candidate to me
    left the forum March 2023
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I would forget about CX Ray spokes, they don't offer a lot for the huge premium they command.
  • stefano
    With fixed gear and no dish you can use any rim you like... you don't need big tension and any rim will build stiff... considering you wn't fly down the Galibier you don't need wider rims either, so the Kinlin looks a good candidate to me

I expect that with no dish the wheels will be a bit stronger but I am not sure if strong enough for my weight and everyday use?

I am between the Stan's Alpha and the Kinlin XR200. Does anyone ride Stan's Alpha with normal clincher tires (no tubeless)?
  • I did, but low pressure tyres only and they were fine
  • stefano
    I did, but low pressure tyres only and they were fine

Usually i run 100psi on the front and 120psi on the rear with 23mm tires. what preasure did you run?
    Thanks
  • stefano wrote:
    I did, but low pressure tyres only and they were fine

Usually i run 100psi on the front and 120psi on the rear with 23mm tires. what preasure did you run?
    Thanks

50-60 PSI... I had big tyres
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The XR-200 is a good rim. You have not concidered the Ryde Pulse Sprint. 385-395g 22mm wide and 17.8mm internal width. Tubeless compatible but unlike the stans rim a normal tubed tyre can be mounted at normal pressures.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,059
    I have a set of hand built stans 240 with CX spokes I also had a set of kinlin which wore thin to the point of almost failure which I discovered on returning from the Alps, I'm pretty sure they hadn't seen that many miles either. As for the stans they've only done about 250 miles since I had them so I can't really tell, super lightweight and a bugger to fit tyres too.

I also have two hand built sets of open pro, these are my everyday commuting or winter training wheels, rock solid and reliable.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    I have a set of hand built stans 240 with CX spokes I also had a set of kinlin which wore thin to the point of almost failure which I discovered on returning from the Alps, I'm pretty sure they hadn't seen that many miles either. As for the stans they've only done about 250 miles since I had them so I can't really tell, super lightweight and a bugger to fit tyres too.

I also have two hand built sets of open pro, these are my everyday commuting or winter training wheels, rock solid and reliable.

Assuming you mean the 340, it's the easiest tubeless rim to fit a tyre on
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    I have had everything from 23mm slicks at 120psi to the 35mm CX tyres at 40psi on at the moment on my 340's. No problems, still true after lots of miles including light off roading, no difficulty getting tyres on. I have Crests and Flows on my mountain bike so I know how difficult it can be to fit tyres to Stans rims but the Alphas have been fine.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Stans Alpha 340 are not 340g. They are 385g
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=13010917

More on Stans vs other choices. As above, they're 385g; they build up into a 1340g wheelset (with tape, without skewers) using 20/24 on Novatec SL hubs and Sapim D-Light spokes. A bit less on CXRays, but who wants to pay £4 a spoke?

Since they're tubeless, why not use them with tubeless tyres? I've had only good results with Hutchinson Intensives, and you could go with the Fusion if it's summer road use only.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,059
    Yes I meant 340 but clinchers not tubeless and trust me putting on tyres was a struggle in fact the first time I managed to trap a tube which held for 7 miles then exploded with the most massive bang completely removed the front tyre almost dumping me onto the road, scared the bloody life out of me.

Veloflex gumwalls, looked great but I'd say not the best quality control.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.