rebuilding wheel

gazl
gazl Posts: 38
edited January 2015 in Workshop
Hi all,

looking to rebuild my current wheelset (1st build) as 2 winters in and the rims are pretty worn. Currently i have Pacenti SL23 24/28 with hope pro 3 hubs laced 3 cross rear and 2 cross front with dt swiss comps rear and revs up front. My question is i have just bought archetype grey 24/28 rims but the erd is 7mm larger, would it be ok to use the current spokes but a 16mm dt swiss nipple instead of the 12mm or buy new spokes.

Thanks

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Not a wheel building expert but I'm sure Ugo or Malcolm will be along to advise.

My initial reaction would be to buy new spokes that are the correct length.

Why risk bodging the job with longer nipples on old spokes for the sake of a few quid for a new set.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Not a wheel building expert but I'm sure Ugo or Malcolm will be along to advise.

My initial reaction would be to buy new spokes that are the correct length.

Why risk bodging the job with longer nipples on old spokes for the sake of a few quid for a new set.
  • lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    There are plenty of spoke length caclulators on the web so you could check them out first before buying new
  • NO, you need new spokes... I build the same combo (archetype on Hope 24/28) as 2 cross both front and rear and if you go this route, then you need 287 or 288 front

Rear drive side is 280 and rear non drive side is 284... never built it 3 cross... I think the drive side flange is a bit big for a 28 3 cross
    left the forum March 2023
  • gazl
    Thanks Ugu, will double check the erd on the rims later then order the spokes
  • gazl wrote:
    Thanks Ugu, will double check the erd on the rims later then order the spokes

Bear in mind the ERD of Archetype is not as advertised. The best number to use is 593. Pacenti SL 23 also is not as advertised... 587 is not a good number... I have measured 585-586
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I use 587mm for the SL23 and lengths work perfectly. Hope Pro 3 28H rear hub do lace 3x without issue as I have done it. Flange PCD is only 50mm ish from memory.

Front 2x is 288mm rear 2x is 280 DS and 283mm NDS So you could lace Sapim race DS and sapim laser NDS. That will be plenty stiff enough.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • gazl
    thanks guys,
    i am a club rider and weigh 66kg, do you think it will be ok to user lasers front and rear
  • Hi,
    If you are unsure you could use Race on the drive side in the rear.

I built up a set of with Lasers front and rear with Laser non drive side and race drive side. I'm a good few kilos heavier than you (80KG) so I would have thought Lasers would be fine for you.

If you don't mind the question, how come you are changing from pacenti to archetype? I have pacenti so just curious.
  • gazl
    loved the pacentis, but thought i would give the archetypes a go as replacing every couple of winters at £100 a rim on my commuter/winter trainer was a bit much
  • gazl wrote:
    loved the pacentis, but thought i would give the archetypes a go as replacing every couple of winters at £100 a rim on my commuter/winter trainer was a bit much

and much easier to fit a tyre... :wink:
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    So long as you the op build the wheel properly I doubt you will have problems with lasers both sides. I am a lot heavier and ride wheels built with lasers or Cx-Rays both sides on the rear with no issues. The pacenti rim though is a bit expensive for winter riding although i àn using mine now and I keep thinking don't brake too much.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • I was in two minds between the archetypes or the pacenti, it would be good the hear how the build up and ride.

I agree it is hard work to get a tyre on the pacenti rim. It has made me consider a change to tubeless tyres.
  • gazl
    still getting the parts together & have just finished reading Roger Mussons excellent book on wheelbuilding (now making my own truing stand & tools). Getting tyres on the Pacentis was certainly a task & it was one of the reasons for going to archetype (as well as the cost) as being a group rider i couldn't bear the thought of wrestling with a tyre in the cold with the rest of the group waiting.

On a side note just generally looking around dura ace hubs dont come in a 20 hole and if in the future i built myself a best set of deep carbon wheels would 18 hole front be ok with a 24 rear or just go 24/24