Stem bolt tightness

Ferrals
Ferrals Posts: 785
edited January 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Now I know theoretically I should use a torque wrench and appropriate setting, but I don't have one. So can some give me guidance on how tight the bolts on the stem bar clamp should be as I'm fitting a new bar later. I'm assuming so long as the bar doesn't move, just finger tight, but not to the extent the Allen key flexes, is good? Or do I really need to buy a torque wrench (stem and bar both alu) - seems overkill.

Also is threadlock necessary?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you don't need a torque wrench.

as tight as needed so there is no movement. and do them evenly.

no thread lock is needed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Ferrals
    Nice one, thanks Nick
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    As an approximation 5 Nm is tight using the short end of the hex key
  • Ferrals
    Using the short end to hold or insert?
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Hold the short end, it stops you from using too much leverage on the allen key.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You need to do it by feel, not rely on hope for the best. You might be a mighty muscle man for all we know.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    5Nm is the same as applying 41,6 N or 4.2kg on a 12cm long hex key,

if that makes sense
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    If you crack a new stem and try to warranty it the first thing they will ask you is did you use a torque wrench.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cooldad
    Crack a stem? You guys are animals.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    cooldad wrote:
    Crack a stem? You guys are animals.

Seen 2 cracked stems in the last few years. One was a Richey WCS carbon on a Trek roadie and cost a mint to replace because the lad who fitted it didnt use a Torque wrench. Doesnt mean it cracked because he didnt use one but its how they get out of warranty because it says use one in the instructions.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cooldad
    Friend snapped a bolt last week, using a torque wrench. Even said it felt wrong but blindly carried on.

I'll carry on relying on feel.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If he snapped a bolt that's screwed into aluminium then
    1/ The bolt was defective
    2/ By the time it felt wrong the bolt was no good anyway, only saving grace if he'd stopped earlier would be that it may have been easier to get out!

I have a torque wrench for my sons carbon frame (seatpost clamp), when I bought it in the shop I went to check it on a display bike, the owner asked me not to as it was a carbon frame, he was a bit stumped when I asked him was it the frame that was particularly weak or the torque wrench I was waiting to buy that was likely to be defective.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    The preset torque keys are nice for things like stems, Bontrager and Ritchey do them. I'd far sooner develop a sensible feel with hand tools, using a long torque wrench, invariably not calibrated or treated particularly carefully is a great way to break things. Saw it regularly at the LBS. A torque wrench doesn't necessarily over ride being a ham fisted oaf!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    stubs wrote:
    If you crack a new stem and try to warranty it the first thing they will ask you is did you use a torque wrench.

Any half sensible person will lie and say yes
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    I use a torque wrench not because I need to, but because I wanted to own a torque wrench because it is a Lovely Thing.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Batmo wrote:
    I use a torque wrench not because I need to, but because I wanted to own a torque wrench because it is a Lovely Thing.

I bought two because of this. It was a way of guaranteeing my Man Card for the next six months.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607