Long Weekend based around The Fred Route

ajkerr73
ajkerr73 Posts: 318
edited February 2015 in Tour & expedition
A couple of questions.

Planning a 4 day, single centre road bike trip, doing The Fred route in the Saturday.

Where would the best place to stay be and what other routes out of that centre (rough) would be good.

Probably need 2 x 40 milers and a 60 miler to add to The Fred

Comments

• Keswick is a nice town, with plenty of nice pubs and bed and breakfasts. It depends on whether you want to do proper route from the start or start on part of it as Keswick is on the route. You could drive to the start.

Also, take the day you do the route seriously, our friends and I have tried to do a couple of times but have ended up farting about before we started etc... and the weather has also been bad and ending up abandoning. Treat it like a sportive and be really organised. Not sure on other routes, might be worth checking the Honister 92 club website as they are based around there.
  • Also, take the day you do the route seriously,

Seconded, we failed on a 120 mile day because we got rat-legged the night before and didn't eat breakfast before leaving the house instead opting for toasties sat around in a cafe. Not a good plan at all!

Ambleside is also a decent place to stay, a bit touristy though at times.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • ajkerr73
    ajkerr73 Posts: 318
    Keswick is a nice town, with plenty of nice pubs and bed and breakfasts. It depends on whether you want to do proper route from the start or start on part of it as Keswick is on the route. You could drive to the start.

Also, take the day you do the route seriously, our friends and I have tried to do a couple of times but have ended up farting about before we started etc... and the weather has also been bad and ending up abandoning. Treat it like a sportive and be really organised. Not sure on other routes, might be worth checking the Honister 92 club website as they are based around there.

Cheers

I'll check that out and noted on the seriousness of the undertaking