BB30 to Shimano Adaptors, is it worth it.

tim_wand
tim_wand Posts: 2,552
edited August 2016 in Workshop
I ve just pushed the button on a new ( old stock) Evo six.

Its the bottom of the line with the FSA Gossamer BB30 Chainset. My plan is to take the Ultegra 6800 gruppo I ve got off the current frameset and fit it to this one.

I ve initially asked the shop to get me some BB30 to Shimano adapters so I can run the Ultegra chainset on this bike.

In retrospect I think I could be opening myself up to a whole world of pain, and missing out on the benefits of having a BB30 bottom bracket in the first place.

As anyone got any experience of this conversion and is it worth while.

I am now thinking of sticking with the FSA Gossamer until the Cannondale SL2 Chainset is available ( lighter and stiffer and Cheaper than the Ultegra) but not as eye wateringly expensive as the SISL.

My only concern with this is that the FSA currently fitted will not run with the rest of the 11 speed shimano group. i.e chain I am planning to move across straight away.

( the bike as specced comes with 5700 series 105 )

any thoughts?

Comments

• plodder73
    plodder73 Posts: 326
    I was forced to fit a Praxis works adaptor because of constant creaking with my BB30. I wouldn't have touched it without a problem, so I would be tempted to leave it. That said I think I am right in saying Cannondales are renowned for BB30 issues.
  • plodder73
    plodder73 Posts: 326
    I was forced to fit a Praxis works adaptor because of constant creaking with my BB30. I wouldn't have touched it without a problem, so I would be tempted to leave it. That said I think I am right in saying Cannondales are renowned for BB30 issues.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I use the Rotor BB30 to BB24 adapters on all my bikes with no issues. Basically fits in BB30 frames like a normal outboard hollowtech BB.
  • Pokerface
    I use the Rotor BB30 to BB24 adapters on all my bikes with no issues. Basically fits in BB30 frames like a normal outboard hollowtech BB.
  • tim_wand
    Thanks Colin. The frame will obviously come with Press fit BB30 Bearings installed. Does the rotor soloution you run replace the whole bottom bracket. I.E do I have to have the original bearings removed and install the rotor, or is it just adapters that press into the frame with the current bearings in situ?

The shop has recommended a FSA adapter to me , which looks a bit cheap and nasty, I would feel more comfortable with something from Rotor/ Praxis or BB infinite.

I m still thinking that if the FSA Gossamer will run with an 11 speed chain , to leave it all alone until the Cannondale BB30 SL2 Chainset I want is widely available.

The third way is just to get a spacer to run the 10 speed cassette on my better 11 speed wheels, and stick with the whole set up until, the Dale chainset is available and swap it over then.
  • Pokerface
    The Rotor one 'screws" together into the frame. The two halves tighten together, but obviously don't screw in the same way a normal Hollowtech BB would (as the frame shell has no threads.

It's a good system as it keeps the BB nice and tight in the frame.

http://www.velotechservices.co.uk/shop/ ... 7410002023
  • tim_wand
    Thanks, so original bearings would have to be removed from the frame , and this system fitted.

I think I am going to initially stick with the Gossamer and then up grade to the SL2 when available.

If the FSA rings on the Gossamer wont run with the 11 speed chain , then I ll get the spacers to run a 10 speed cassette and on the better wheelset until I am ready to convert.

I don't have the knowledge to remove the Original bearings without distructing the frame, or a press to fit adapters.

Felt like the bikeshop wanted to sell me the solution they had, rather than the one I wanted. Which would have been something like the rotor, with both parts of the bearing cartridge screwing in to one another , I feel there is less chance of them working loose and creaking.
  • tim_wand
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/w ... ets-29544/

Found this. Might give it a go and fit the Rotor cups.
  • dilatory
    dilatory Posts: 565
    I have BB30 (CAAD10) and in 6,000 miles I have had to service the BB 3 times. It's not even that much of an effort. Pop the cranks off, clean out bearings, re-pack with grease and stick it back together again. Time it with a nice big clean and it isn't so bad! I've got 2 sets of spare bearings but not used 'em yet.

I might get an adapter if it makes power meter options easier but otherwise I'm not hugely fussed.
  • tim_wand
    Its not the longevity of bearings that concern me. I am quite happy to service them.

Its the interface between the original bearings and the bottom bracket shell, that worries me, I cant see how anything that isn't Locked or threaded in isn't going to develop wear and weak tolerances.

The threaded cartridge and threaded external bearing type systems appear to have more engineering integrity to me.

The only thing that's making me think I might keep the original bearings is , what is the point of having a BB30 frame if you don't take advantage of the supposed added rigidity in that area.
  • Pokerface
    These just press not your BB30 bearings that are in the frame: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/wheels-manufact ... dle-shims/

Have them on the girlfriend's bike.

The extra stiffness of BB30, etc is great if you need it. For most mere mortal riders, doubt you'll feel any difference.
  • tim_wand
    edited January 2015
    Yer they are basically the same as the FSA adapters the shop has advised/ supplied to fit.

I still think your Rotor system is better as it tightens onto itself.

I ve communicated with Warren Rossiter the tech ed on C+ Who has replaced the Gossamer on his Synapse with the Cannondale SL2 Chainset and thoroughly recommends it. I cant find one but Warren has promised to pass my details onto the distributor ( Great guy ) If I get a result there its the way I ll go.

If not I LL drift the original bearings out and fit the rotor.

The one thing you are right about Colin is a mere mortal like me will probably not feel the benefit of BB30 over 24mm axles.

I geuss the other thing I could do is fit the SRAM red Chainset from a World Champions Girlfriends bike ( that's 30mm with spacers) if I could convince Debs to run the spare fsa one :wink:
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Wheels Manufacturing also makes one similar to the Rotor and I suspect other mfrs will be jumping in soon. http://wheelsmfg.com/products/bottom-br ... ckets.html Also note that the bearings in both of these models can be pressed out and replaced when needed so you can save 2/3 the cost of new BB.
  • tim_wand
    Thanks Cranky. Another good option. I ve emailed CSG the distributor for cannondale in the UK, if they cant come up with an SL Crankset , then something like this or the rotor will be the way forward.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • tim_wand
    brettjmcc wrote:

Thanks that's a winner, definitely keeping that one to favourites, excellent for all things Cannondale.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Once you've sorted that, you'll be going for a P2M or Quarq... LOL
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • tim_wand
    brettjmcc wrote:
    Once you've sorted that, you'll be going for a P2M or Quarq... LOL

Nah wouldn't do that, Proper power readings would blow my illusions of my Wattages on Virtual Power on Trainer Road. :lol:
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Dammit, hadnt really considered SISL2 cranks ...
    up to now!
  • tim_wand
    JGSI wrote:
    Dammit, hadnt really considered SISL2 cranks ...
    up to now!

Think once you see the £550 price you might not consider them again. The SL2 With the FSA rings instead of the Cannondale spider is £350. I Was hoping for a price comparable to Ultegra after Warren's review on the Synapse.
  • Maltess
    Maltess Posts: 11
    Can I use the Rotor conversor with a BB30a frame?