Cube ltd pro advice please- also, voodoo hoodoo opinions?

Moominman2
Moominman2 Posts: 389
edited January 2015 in MTB buying advice
I STILL haven't managed to find a decent bike in my area on the used market!

However, there is a cube ltd pro for sale within my parts, although, the description says "Only needs a break cable. the cable has come lose and rear gears don't work but it only costs £10 to buy and fit".

Apart from the atrocious spelling and grammar, and the fact that the seller has stated that I need a brake cable for the gears, is this worth a punt for £240? After a few messages, I've since learnt that the gear cable came loose and the spokes stretched it after getting caught in them.

Cheers in advance!
Luke

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Gear cables don't stretch, but mechs getting caught in the spokes do get trashed.

If it only needs a cable and it's that simple, why hasn't he just fixed it?

So who can say.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • OK, you've confirmed it for me. I shall pass, thanks!

The seller said he was saving for a road bike and doesn't want the hassle of fixing it. He also said he could sell it for more if he fixed it, but I don't understand why you wouldn't if it was only a tenner to fix.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    At that price it's either farked or stolen.
  • Probably right!

I've just found a voodoo hoodoo near me for £175. Is this worth it? I really didn't want a halfords bike, but their rep seems a lot better these days, seeing as this won the best bike under £500?

Or is it worth holding out for a cube ltd at about £200 more?

Thanks
  • cooldad
    Voodoo aren't 'Halfords' bikes. They've been going for years and used to be designed by Joe Murray, who also used to design for Marin and Kona.
    As well as being US national MTB champion a couple of times. So they do have some pedigree.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Murray_(cyclist)
    Excellent bikes, but without knowing the condition/seeing pictures it's impossible to say what is or isn't a good deal.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Thanks for clearing that up for me, I didn't realise.

Unfortunately it's a 20" frame and I'm only 5ft9", so am unsure whether it'll suit me :(
  • cooldad
    99% sure too big.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Ha, ok cheers.

The guy who is selling it said he was 5ft 4".
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Either a liar, or its not his!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Are you looking in Gumtree?
    99.99% of bikes in there are stolen.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    To be fair, I have bought some bikes on Gumtree and they weren't (they had the original documents such as receipts, guarentees etc), but it is caveat emptor for sure!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.