Can't index 11 speed correctly. Why?

Pokerface
Pokerface Posts: 7,960
edited January 2015 in Workshop
Made the jump from 10 to 11 speed Di2 today.

Already was running all Dura Ace parts, except for the rear mech. Upgraded that to 11-speed mech today.

Wheels are Dura Ace 9000 C24 - so 11-speed compatible. Took off the cassette spacer, and put on a new 11-speed (Sram) cassette. New KMC X11 chain also.

The 10-speed set-up worked perfectly, but for the life of me, can't get the 11-speed to index correctly.

I have tried 2 different cassettes to make sure it's not that.

I have micro-adjusted the rear mech but no matter which way I do it, it simply won't shift correctly.

Only thing I can think of is that the mech hanger is out of alignment. Although it's a newish bike and would be surprised if that's the culprit. I will put on a new hanger tomorrow to check.

So, have I missed anything glaringly obvious?

Thanks!

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I am such a long way from getting electronic wise... however my life is a bane of electronic support.so .. have you made sure of newest firmware?
  • Pokerface
    JGSI wrote:
    I am such a long way from getting electronic wise... however my life is a bane of electronic support.so .. have you made sure of newest firmware?

Well no. But that shouldn't affect indexing or setup. I'm trying to avoid messing with firmware until I'm certain the whole thing works. If I do change firmware at this stage, no option to revert to 10 speed.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    The hanger might not be bent but the screws that attach it might be loose.

Have you tried aligning the pulleys with the limit screws first without the chain on ?

When adjusting the high limit screw you need to allow for some over movement at the end of the cassette. (half/full turn counterclockwise - from the smallest cog if that makes sense) The rear mech will automatically move back into alignment of the smallest cog.

Same for the low limit screw. A very small amount of over movement is needed. If its too tight. There will be too much load on the motor, and it will drain the battery and shifting will be poor.

The only time you should need to use the micro adjust is when in the 5th largest cog , to centre the chain ,to eliminate chain chatter.

I would of thought that it is best reset any prior 'micro'' adjustments to the centre of its range when initially setting up.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    i dont know much about di2 but my mate used this guide a while back when he went from 10 to 11 di2
    http://carltonbale.com/shimano-di2-ever ... d-to-know/
  • Pokerface
    Well, I've given up and gone back to 10-speed.

New hanger did nothing to fix the problem. It just won't index correctly.

I'm going to try putting it on a different bike to see if the bike is the problem. But when I went back to the 10-speed setup, it worked perfectly. :(
  • Bear in mind that even though the hanger is new, it might not be aligned - you should always check with a rear hanger tool just in case.

Did you try with a Shimano cassette?
  • Pokerface
    Bear in mind that even though the hanger is new, it might not be aligned - you should always check with a rear hanger tool just in case.

Did you try with a Shimano cassette?

No. Haven't tried with Shimano cassette. Although the spacing with Sram and Shimano is exactly the same.

When installed the 11-speed on a different bike, it appeared to work much better. Must be a problem with the specific bike.