Do MTB shoe soles wear out?

dieselgeezer
dieselgeezer Posts: 231
edited January 2015 in MTB buying advice
Just gone over from road to MTB shoes with carbon soles to give me a bit more "walkability" on road. Went for the Shimano XC61's which fit well but I'm just wondering how long the sole grips will last when used for limited walking on tarmac (a bike is for riding rather than pushing!)
-- "I am but a spoke in the wheel of life" -- Ghandi

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have the old version of the XC61. Six years old and still good. I use them mainly for commuting now but i guess they must have done 20k miles at least.
    The only time i have walked in them is when my bike is broken and needed pushing home.
    Carbon soles are no more durable than standard ones but they are noticably stiffer for riding, which i like.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I've worn out the tops of MTB shoes, never the soles.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    A long time, non issue.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    The original soles on my MP66s wore out in less than 6 months when I started pushing up. Have had them resoled since and they are wearing out in a similar way
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I got rid of my old MTB boots after I discovered I couldn't push a bike through mud with them on. This was in an event where I held up a queue of folk all trying (and succeeding) to do the same thing whilst I floundered and slipped.

No tread = no grip.
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    The soles are starting to show a little wear on my Somrio shoes, but they've had two years of use, and I'd recon I could get another two (out of the soles).
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Cycling shoes are for riding, not pushing although i have done loads of push up downhill days in my Shimano AM45's with no problems other than a bit of mud clogging the cleats occasionally.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you want to push up muddy hills get a pair with the holes for two toe studs, simples....they are designed for riding up.

Of course as craker hasn't told us which shoes the comment is rather pointless especially as it appears other MTB shoes were fine on the same hill (mind you we all know about poor workmen!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    The Rookie wrote:
    Of course as craker hasn't told us which shoes the comment is rather pointless especially as it appears other MTB shoes were fine on the same hill (mind you we all know about poor workmen!)

Oh I don't know some cheapy (French?) brand whose name eludes me. I haven't got them anymore, threw them away following the event debacle I recounted. (TBH, they never had much tread, but once that had gone they were rather useless on muddy trails).

Why blame my walking / pushing / riding style when I can just buy new shoes ;-) ?

Anyway, to address the OP's question: Yes.