Pesky gears!

Malky1841
Malky1841 Posts: 4
edited January 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hiya.

I've had my bike int 2 different shops to get my gears fixed and each time it comes back with something different wrong with it, so I'm trying to learn how to do it myself.

This time round my rear derailleur seems to lag when I'm on the trail which is knackering and annoying!. So when I'm in say 3rd and I want to change up to 5th I flick the switch and nothing happens. About half a min to a min later it'll all of a sudden click into place from 3rd to 5th which is dificult as by then I might be going uphill!. Is this jst a simple adustment on the cable tensioner by the shifter leavers do you think or am I gong to have to start twisting screws ect.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    that sounds like crud in the cable, or frayed cables, rusty cables or a pinch point in the outer rather than set up.

loads of info on Parktools re set up etc.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • "Pinch point in the outer set up"?? I'm a begginer to self maintanance so I'm not savy with the terminology yet, sorry. Wheres this parktools info?. Cheers for responding :)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    something has trapped. damaged an outer.

pinched it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Ah nice one. I've found the park tools site cheers!