How come...

mugensi
mugensi Posts: 559
edited January 2015 in Road general
Campag cassette bodies/freehubs are always lighter than the Shimano equivalent for the same wheel? For example, the shimano freehub on Zondas is 45g heavier than the campag freehub. I'm presuming that campag actually make their own free hubs and that theyre not bought in from external manufacturers, so why are they heavier if the only difference is slightly deeper and angled splines on the campag FH???

Comments

• mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    Same with Fulcrum wheels, also owned by Campagnolo. Anybody would think that the manufacturer wanted you to prefer their own groupsets !!!

Seriously, if you shop around and pay more you can usually find alloy Shimano freehubs as I have for my Fulcrum zero wheels, but the stock shimano freewheel on Campagnolo owned wheels is steel.
    Colnago Addict!
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    Where did you buy the freehub from?

I was reading last night that it has something to do with the shallow splines on shimano cassettes eating into alloy freehubs and so they make them out of steel whereas the deeper splines on campag cassettes dont eat into the alloy as there is a greater contact patch on each spline.