SRAM brake outer - compressionless?

luv2ride
luv2ride Posts: 2,367
edited January 2015 in Workshop
Hi. Having problems getting decent performance from my TRP Spyres disc brakes, especially on the rear. Pads out and cleaned with water, dried and lightly sanded(de-glazed), plenty of material left on the OE organic pads. OE Rotors cleaned with rubbing alcohol. Went out for a muddy 35 miler and brakes pretty ineffective again from early on in the ride. Basically no braking force when riding on the hoods, had to use the drops to get any real braking force.

Have bought new pads and even new rotors (SRAM ones on sale at CRC). Awaiting delivery of these. However, the lever has always pulled right up to the bar to get any real force on the rear calliper so I'm thinking it could be an issue with the cable, or outer?

I'm using the OE cable and outer that came with my SRAM Rival shifters. Does anyone know if they're compression-less outers?

many thanks.
Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Comments

• luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    On closer inspection, I see the long run of rear brake cable outer is actually Shimano M series housing (I remember the LBS saying the SRAM outer that came with the OE cable and shifters wasn't long enough for a single run). The LBS clearly supplied their own. I take it this outer isn't ideal for mechanical disc brakes?
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • comsense
    comsense Posts: 245
    http://www.cxmagazine.com/mechanical-mo ... rake-setup

have a quick look through this and see if there is anything you haven't done or could do differently

I've got even cheap lyra discs working adequately with standard shimano and wiggle's lifeline outers. When I had time on my hands while ill, I got the compressionless and went to town setting everything up to perfection. There was a noticeable difference but as I've said - it was good enough with the standard outers
  • mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    you need jagwire compressionless brake outer.
    Colnago Addict!