Which brake blocks?

ben@31
ben@31 Posts: 2,327
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
On sat I was cycling down a hill and heard a noise from the rear brake. Thought nothing of it... just some grit or the calliper moved to the side and rubbing a bit, maybe?

Then today I was doing some stuff near my parked up bike and out the corner of my eye noticed one brake block is worn down to the metal. Ah that'll explain it. I never thought id do enough cycling to go through an entire brake block :D

Anyway does anyone have any recommendations on what are the best stoppers? Or are they all pretty much the same?

Thanks.
"The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    They tend to wear out every 1500-2000 miles (or less if riding in crappy weather, hills, in a city). I just use the Shimano Dura Ace ones as they aren't too expensive and are fine in all weathers.

Some swear by swisstop green or coolstop salmon but they aren't cheap.
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Could try a small UK company like: http://www.uberbikecomponents.com
  • I would go for cartridge brake blocks so you can just change the rubber rather than the whole lot and then I just buy the shimano Dura Ace ones. I have used lots of cheap cartridge replacements but in this weather I get through a pair on the rear wheel in about a month, even with cleaning after most rides!!

I find the DA pads have thicker rubber than the cheap ones (more to wear) and also wear slower. They're also cheap enough to keep using them.