Tyre Help!

Dawesy92
Dawesy92 Posts: 606
edited January 2015 in MTB buying advice
Right so I'm looking to get a new rear tyre as the Conti I've got on now is way too draggy for my liking!

I'm torn between Bontranger XR3 that I have on the front as I know they roll nice, or do I go next one up XR4?

Not sure which to go for, looking at the tread on the XR4 it should roll better in my eyes..

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The XR4 isn't one up, it's a different tread pattern. The XR3 TI would be the next one up.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Dawesy92
    Oh right, have you ever used the XR4 ti?

I have the XR3 TI on the front currently, only changed back as its had a big hole in it.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    I've got it on the rear now, I have lost traction on climbs a couple of times, although playing with pressures may sort that, plus it was a loose gravely type surface. IIRC the XR4 should be bonty's most aggressive tread pattern.

Good strong sidewalls though and easy to set up tubeless. I have had a puncture on the base of one of the knobs though, it's sealed again but I'm hoping it doesn't end up with the knob getting ripped off.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    what conti have you got the now? the mountain king2 BC rolls pretty well. the larger 2.35 XR4 doesn't roll particularly well as a rear and I've found it has a narrow range of surfaces it works well
  • Hello mate, this for using round the Pines I presume?

I use Rubber Queen (now Trail King) 2.2 Black Chilli which are just amazing, blow me away every ride. That's at Pines, Cannock, in the Peaks, and everywhere else for that matter.

Over winter I've been riding round mainly the Pines on a cheap hardtail. Its got Bonty XR4 Team Issue 2.2 at each end. They are a little more draggy, but they are grippy as hell and I have complete confidence in them. In the Pines over winter (you know what its been like) they haven't come unstuck either.
  • Dawesy92
    Cheers lads, after a bit of digging online I'm gonna give the XR4 a miss, and go back with the XR3 expert or team issue as I trust them as I did run them both ends untill a piece of glass put a nice big hole in the tyre!!