Getting a new bike help with crankset!

JC14
JC14 Posts: 29
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
So guys i am getting a new bike, and it comes with a FSA Energy crankset. When i get the bike (Its on layby), should i sell the FSA Energy crankset and by a ultegra 6800 one to match the rest of the bike?

Comments

• Rodders30
    Rodders30 Posts: 314
    You don't have to, but if you had OCD, you could.
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    If you want. Or you could get any other crankset you want. It's up to you really. Mickle muckle.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    why? wear things out first.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • JC14 wrote:
    So guys i am getting a new bike, and it comes with a FSA Energy crankset. When i get the bike (Its on layby), should i sell the FSA Energy crankset and by a ultegra 6800 one to match the rest of the bike?

You *can* do that. But it's a perfectly decent crankset, just ride it until it wears out (many thousands of miles), then get an Ultegra 6800.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    You should change it. little known fact, but when mixing FSA with ultegra excess friction is generated. Not only will this affect your speed, it will burst into flames if you ride over 30 miles.

(not really, but you can quote this if you need an excuse to change).
    Insert bike here:
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    If you are pretty sure you will change it anyway, change it while it's new, then you can sell it for more.
  • I'm never sure quite why they do this. The RRP on the Energy APPEARS to be more than an Ultegra. You'd think, if buying in bulk, it would be cheaper to get the entire groupset rather than sans chainset then add FSA. But it must be a cost issue. FSA must be banging out these OEM for very little
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • I'm never sure quite why they do this. The RRP on the Energy APPEARS to be more than an Ultegra. You'd think, if buying in bulk, it would be cheaper to get the entire groupset rather than sans chainset then add FSA. But it must be a cost issue. FSA must be banging out these OEM for very little

Given that it's very common for manufacturers to go with a non-group chainset, either a different brand or a non-group Shimano (for example), then I guess they must get steep discounts which aren't available on the groupset chainsets.
  • Plus; I just googled it; that's one nice looking chainset, I'd certainly be keeping that!
  • JC14
    JC14 Posts: 29
    Ok thanks guys and for anyone interested the new bike is a 2014 Merida Scultura 905