Wheel guru input required

mankybianchi
mankybianchi Posts: 117
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
I think I may have a dilemma developing.

I am currently stripping down and moving parts from one old frame to a new one. The setup is Campagnolo 8-speed(!!). The original veloce hub packed in a couple of years ago and since then I have been using an Alexrim AT450 Shimano wheel and cassette ( which actually moved up and down the sprockets more smoothly).

The approaching dilemma is that I was given a Campag record hub 32 hole which is the newer splined freehub. I would like to build a new back wheel incorporating this hub because it's a gorgeous looking thing and it's Campag. What rim do I mate this with?

My weight varies between 75 and 79kg over a year and I'm more of a spinner than a powerhouse. I don't race but would like a reasonably light wheel and more of a non-winter one as I ride fixed in winter.

I see many newer rims becoming wider and with fewer spokes so is 32 hole a bit over the top nowadays?

I'm from the Open Pro background and have been using Michelin 25c tyres which are actually quite big so the Alexrims I have are pretty narrow internally and cause problems getting them through the brake when inflated. I had been looking at Kinlin 279 I think but can't see them in 32 hole.

Um, help please?

Comments

• 32 is out of fashion but that doesn't mean it's no longer the best thing since sliced bread. You should see one of these 20 spoked wheels when one pops... first you can't go home and second even with a new spoke the rim will have suffered in the process and will never build back to the same standard.

I advise Archetype because it's tried and tested over 2-3 years... having seen several hundred of those I only come across one that developed cracks and I am pretty sure it was a sub-standard build. It's hard to find something that has such consistently excellent quality at that price.
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I would echo the above. The archetype rim is far better the Open Pro ever used to be. I am surprised Mavic still make the OP.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • I would echo the above. The archetype rim is far better the Open Pro ever used to be. I am surprised Mavic still make the OP.

Because their R&D resources are spent to make new wheels, which are not always profitable but boost the brand. The range of rims is probably just an easy way to cash in on products that have been developed 20 years ago and most likely cost nothing to make
  • Ok, cool. Would I be right that being a rear, the advice for spokes would be DT comp or Alpina?

And while I'm here; seeing that the Archetype rim is becoming pretty popular, I was just wondering what kind of riding/riders would tend to use DTSwiss rims like the R440 or 415, or Ambrosio Excelight?
  • Ok, cool. Would I be right that being a rear, the advice for spokes would be DT comp or Alpina?

And while I'm here; seeing that the Archetype rim is becoming pretty popular, I was just wondering what kind of riding/riders would tend to use DTSwiss rims like the R440 or 415, or Ambrosio Excelight?

That would be a good choice...

No idea... the last Excellight I built was a couple of years ago... I have always refused to build the 415, as the 465 was a much better rim. Never built the R 440.
  • I've just located Kinlin xc 279 rims with 32 holes. I've read that they are quite stiff so at 32 holes is that ridiculous?

Given that they are roughly £20 cheaper than Archetypes, are they worth considering?

Thanks
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Yes. So are Velocity A23.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Actually, I was wrong – they were XR270 rims.
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Have a look on Ebay for the XC-279 rims.

Alternatively I am sure Malcolm at thecycleclinic could supply you some, or Hubjub.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Xc279's are very good rims and yes they are very stiff. Since they are wide though ride comfort is not harmed not that I think rim stiffness have much influence on ride comfort anyway as it mostly down to the tyre and pressures run. It is a rim I would recommend if you are on a budget.

The DT Swiss rr440 is a fine rim but not as stiff as the archetype but it is well made. The rear rim comes with offset drilling which i do like. The rr415 is also a good rim but the 1100N tension limit should be respected. The rim has a weight limit as well. I have a set that have served me well. It is the only light rim which has a brake track that is not paper thin. Even in 28H drilling built with sapim laser spokes it makes a stable wheel with reasonable stiffness. The rim is narrow though. The RR415 is a very good rim shame it is no longer made.

The excelight is like an open pro but better made and a little stiffer. Narrow and shallow and therefore not a favourite for those reasons.

The velocity A23 is not a rim I like as the quality control on the rims is not that great shame as velocity make some very good rims.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.

• The DT Swiss rr440 is a fine rim but not as stiff as the archetype but it is well made. The rear rim comes with offset drilling which i do like. The rr415 is also a good rim but the 1100N tension limit should be respected. The rim has a weight limit as well. I have a set that have served me well. It is the only light rim which has a brake track that is not paper thin. Even in 28H drilling built with sapim laser spokes it makes a stable wheel with reasonable stiffness. The rim is narrow though. The RR415 is a very good rim shame it is no longer made.

The excelight is like an open pro but better made and a little stiffer. Narrow and shallow and therefore not a favourite for those reasons.

The velocity A23 is not a rim I like as the quality control on the rims is not that great shame as velocity make some very good rims.

I disagree on most points

1) The RR 415 is anything but stiff and a 28 H rear built with laser is going to be a bit of a noodle (I had one). It's a good thing they no longer make it.

2) Why would excellight be stiffer than Open PRO? It's narrower and marginally lighter. As for better made, again I wouldn't say so... it's just more expensive, but not better in any way shape or form

3)Yes, the A23 are often a bit mis-shaped like artisan made doughnuts with a bump at the joint and leftover shavings of alloy around the holes, but once built they rarely give any grief... I'd say it's more a builder's than an end user concern. For the end user the main points to bear in mind are that it is a tubeless rim, hence a bit tighter than a non tubeless rim and given the price has gone up, it is no longer competitive with other and better offers
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    If you like the HSon but want an OP look there is the HSON TN14. Based around the Nemesis/OP it's still a wide rim
    M.Rushton