Commute bike advice, Max £600

Gamblor
Gamblor Posts: 84
edited January 2015 in MTB buying advice
As the title, I currently commute to work on a heavy Carrera Vulcan with fairly heavy suspension forks. I'm moving offices in a few months which will add a good few miles to my commute.

I quite like the idea of having one bike to commute to work and another for more challenging rides as I think the suspension on my Vulcan is just wasting enegery, as is the increased weight and thicker tyres

My commute is largely on a cycle trail through the woods (old railway line). Because of this, a dedicated road bike won't cut it.

I'm looking for the best I can get, needs to be as light as possible and able to handle very slight off road with thin tyres.

I'm looking at the Giant Rapid 3 at the moment as that seems to tick the boxes, but its right on the cusp of my £600 budget.

Anything else you can recommend, maybe a trek or Boardman? If the giant is the best bang for the buck I'll go with it, just thought I'd see what the alternatives are in case there's a cheaper, better option.

Cheers

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Voodoo Marasa form Halfords, Circa £350, a rigid 29er (same wheel size as 700c) and you can swap the tyres to suite your specific terrain, something like CX 'Smart Sam' tyres sound ideal, the OE tyres on the Marasa are quite heavy and decent tyres will shed a chunk of weight as well.

That or just get some lightweight rigid forks on the Vulcan (Mosso are a good bet) and change the tyres for something lighter/narrower like a 1.8 Fire XC Pro.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I'd be tempted to go for a cx bike for what you describe. Bang on budget if they've got your size:
    http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... -sussex-14
    Or the Genesis Day One if your ride isn't too hilly:
    http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/urb ... ss/day-one
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Gamblor
    Cheers for the advice.

I'm now leaning towards the Trek 7.4 FX, as I've seen alot of Trek 7.4 FX vs Giant Rapid 3 threads, and the general opinion seems to be the Trek 7.4 FX is better at dirt trails etc. The problem I have is that the cycle track I use is mostly flat, but theres alot of twigs, stones and the odd bit of gravel, and the Giant might just not be up for it.
  • oodboo
    Road bikes wont just fall apart if you go over a few twigs. The Giant would be fine with what you describe if that's the one you prefer.

Strava
  • Gamblor
    oodboo wrote:
    Road bikes wont just fall apart if you go over a few twigs. The Giant would be fine with what you describe if that's the one you prefer.

Given that its 80% woodlands is that not likely to cause any issues then? I just wanna make sure I get something that's totally suitable for my needs really :)
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    oodboo wrote:
    I'd be tempted to go for a cx bike for what you describe. Bang on budget if they've got your size:
    http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... -sussex-14
    Or the Genesis Day One if your ride isn't too hilly:
    http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/urb ... ss/day-one

Gutted there isn't a 58cm left at EBC!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • snowster
    snowster Posts: 490
    Great bike I have one for my commute had it for a year now and never let me down but if you going to buy one wait till halfords havethe 20% offers on..
  • Gamblor
    Nice one, that would tock the boxes regarding terrain as well? I'm thinking that's the better option price wise as I'm going the cycle to work route, and I've read that by buying below £500 I'll pay a lower final value fee at the end of the year
  • The Rookie
    The Boardman are nice, but they won't take an offroad tyre at all, road tyres only.

The Marasa mentioned above is almost as good as the Trek and half the price, will take anything from a 28mm road tyre through to a 2.1" MTB tyre.

Or as mentioned above, just make the Vulcan more suitable for the commute, it will cost you a lot less than changing bike will. my commuter uses mostly MTB parts (frame is a Hybrid but could just as easily be an MTB frame and it's heavier than my old hardtail frame) to create a 9.2Kg on road commuter.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Gamblor
    I would just make the Vulcan lighter but I can't get parts with cycle to work, needs to be a full bike.

Maybe the Boardman MX Sport 2014? Still thin tyres but a bit more forgiving, and the option of locking the suspension
  • oodboo
    The boardman probably wont take big mtb tyres but you could easily but it looks like you could easily fit some fat cx tyres like these to smooth out the bumps a bit:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/wtb- ... prod121980

Strava
  • snowster
    edited January 2015
    Boardman MX Sport don't do it save your money forks are rubbish and probably weight a ton, as the above post just but some new tyres with a bit more grip
  • The Rookie
    The Boardman Hybrids I've seen wouldn't take much over a 35mm tyre between the stays, not sure if the frame has changed over the years.
  • oodboo
    There appears to be plenty clearance in this pic:
    Boardman_HybridComp_3q.jpg

Also the video on the halfords website showed a similar angle and it looked like it would fit much bigger tyres than the stock 28mm.
    boardman_zps88256217.jpg

Strava
  • snowster
    I would agree with the above just measured mine and gap is 45mm so I guess your limited on tyres
  • Gamblor
    Right, I think I've got my mind made up. The Boardman Hybrid Comp Bike 2014 with some different tyres, something like the Schwalbe Tyrago Kevlar Guard might be the best of both worlds.

Many thanks for everyones help, its much appreciated.
  • snowster
    Enjoy great bike fast and reliable.
  • oodboo
    Good choice of tyre. I ran them for ages without a puncture, worked well off road as well (bridleways, etc).

Strava
  • Gamblor
    Sorry to bump, but as the purchase day gets closer I'm looking more and more at my bike.

Can someone put my mind at rest? I'm planning to ride it over terrain such as this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf8CO2tTk-s

Will I definately get away without needing forks? I know they offer the Boardman Hybrid with forks, but I figure the more weight I can shed the better (and the less their is to go wrong)
  • foy
    foy Posts: 296
    You will be far better using a mountain bike doing stuff like that when it is so muddy and wet. You would be fine using a hybrid if the trail you were on was dry.
  • oodboo
    I used to ride a cx bike along paths like that all year round. It was fine and will be on a hybrid. It's just up to you about how comfortable you'll be riding paths like that. My cx bike had a steel frame which would've been a bit more forgiving than the alloy Boardman.

Strava
  • The Rookie
    Gamblor wrote:
    I know they offer the Boardman Hybrid with forks, but I figure the more weight I can shed the better (and the less their is to go wrong)
    In terms of model name, the Hybrid only has rigid forks, the MX (which is 'a hybrid' has suspension forks.

Any dual use tyre of circa 38-48mm will be fine for road and that sort of trail.

I'd still go for a 29er rigid such as the Voodoo Marasa, with better tyres (smart sam would be my choice) they make a great all round bike.