Fitting cranks

Auraomega
Auraomega Posts: 15
edited January 2015 in Workshop
This is my first build and I'm at a loss on fitting the cranks, I think there's a tool I'm missing so I figure asking here is better than ruining my bike!

I purchased this frame second hand on ebay and a Shimano 6600 groupset also (different sellers). By the looks of things there is already a bottom bracket fitted to the frame, but when trying to fit any of my cranks they go through one side but not the other. The frame has SRAM stickers on it so I'm guessing that the previous owner used SRAM kit, would this explain the reason my cranks won't fit and, more importantly, what tools do I need to change the BB to the one that came with my 6600 groupo?

Cheers in advance!

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    As you say the previous owner was probably using a SRAM chainset so those bearing/adaptors won't work with your Shimano HT 6600. You need something like this http://wheelsmfg.com/products/bottom-br ... board.html
    or
    https://www.praxiscycles.com/conversion-bb/

This subject has been covered before, try using the search facility in the Workshop Forum. Not sure which tools you need but have a look and the Park Tools website.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... nd-removal
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    The Dolan frames I've encountered were all BB30. You'll need adapters if the cranks you're fitting are anything different.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    If the Shimano cranks don't go all the way through then there's a good chance that the fitted BB is GXP, so the NDS is 22mm whereas the Shimano crank (and HTII BB) are 24mm. You may be able to work out whether this is done by an adaptor or by the installed BB cups and, from that, if there is an easy fix or just swap out the BB for a suitable one.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    philthy3 wrote:
    The Dolan frames I've encountered were all BB30. You'll need adapters if the cranks you're fitting are anything different.

Yep, according to that link it says it's got a BB30 bottom bracket shell, so you'll need some kind of adapter to fit a Shimano BB
  • me-109
    Read the original post again:
    Auraomega wrote:
    there is already a bottom bracket fitted to the frame, but when trying to fit any of my cranks they go through one side but not the other.
    If it had a BB30 BB fitted the cranks would fit through but slop around. So whatever it currently has is BB30-to-?, where '?' is smaller than HTII, so most likely GXP.
  • Me-109 wrote:
    If the Shimano cranks don't go all the way through then there's a good chance that the fitted BB is GXP, so the NDS is 22mm whereas the Shimano crank (and HTII BB) are 24mm. You may be able to work out whether this is done by an adaptor or by the installed BB cups and, from that, if there is an easy fix or just swap out the BB for a suitable one.

This looks to be the case, it goes through one side but the other side is just slightly too narrow. This is the reason I posted on here because I have literally no idea what to look for/Google search. Would photos of the BB help?
  • So I've looked at some videos of GXP and it looks to be the one as it has that star styled seal.

I've attached a photo of the BB to make entirely sure. Is this the correct removal tool and if I do keep the adapter in there can I simply remove the GXP one and add this BB in its place?
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 632
    Instead of the tool you linked to I would get one that looks like this http://www.halfords.com/cycling/tools-m ... ech-2-tool because it fits all round the bearing shell its less likely to slip off.

CRC sell the Ultegra HT2 BB for £11.99.
  • me-109
    The tool you linked should work fine. Mine is similar and I've no problems. A full-circle tool like the one paulbnix linked might be slightly better if you've a very stuck BB. Hopefully the frame insert will not loosen off before the BB does!

Also as above, plenty of other places to get the BB cheaper than on Amazon, but that's the sort of thing you want.