Quick Release or Bolt On Rear Wheel.

magibob
magibob Posts: 203
edited January 2015 in The workshop
Hi.

I'm a big guy, and over the last maybe 5 years I've snapped 3 quick release skewers on my back wheel.

Maybe an odd question, would a bolt on fixing be stronger than using quick release skewers?

If so, would it need a whole new wheel, or can the axle type be swapped?

Cheers

Andy

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    No.

Maybe.

Get better qrs and yes them correctly.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Good quality quick release for geared bikes, good quality bolts for fixed.

As far as I'm aware, for normal wheels you can use either.

I've never heard of a QR being broken, still less 3, so I'd check you're doing it right.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Use Shimano Skewers and make sure they are done up to the right tension, or Halo bolt through.

The Skewer really shouldnt see enough load to snap it during riding if it's fitted and tensioned right, if its loose then the axle can slip inside the dropout leaving the load on the skewer which won't then take it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • magibob
    magibob Posts: 203
    Thanks for the replies folks.

The skewers have always been fitted in the wheel by the mechanics at decathlon and it's been 2 different wheels. Maybe I was over-tightening or something.

Now it has been installed by the LBS, and it's set so the lever meets resistance when pointing straight out, (as on here, http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... stallation.) We'll see how it goes.

Cheers

Andy
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Shimano and Campagnolo QR skewers use internal cams and are stronger and more reliable than the lightweight, external-cam ones, often with plastic pressure pads.
  • Both Shimano and Compag QRs are good. Fulcrum use Compag BTW.

Many people over-tighten them. The way I learnt way back is that they should be tight enough to leave an impression in your hand when you close them, but no more. Always worked for me.

Especially when you've removed them altogether it's best to close, release, check and close again.

And I always close them with the bike on the ground and vertical. If you do it when the bike's in the stand it's harder to ensure the wheel is straight.

A bit different for fixed where I find it's easiest to "walk" the wheel back in the stand to get the chain tension right (obv doesn't work for punctures on the road). And where ensuring the nuts are tight is somewhat more important.