replacing gear cable

Dawesy92
Dawesy92 Posts: 606
edited January 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Right just a quick one, my gear cables are run internally, is there an easy way to replace them?

Comments

• Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    I just replaced my inner and left the outer (only because I had a new inner with my new shifter). Personally I'd remove either, inner or outer first, leaving the other still routed in the frame, fit new inner or outer using the part you left in place as a guide and then replace that part using the same procedure if that makes sense.
  • Dawesy92
    Dawesy92 Posts: 606
    I'm jujust wondering if I pull the inner out, leaving the outer in place will the inner follow all the way thru the frame? Or am I best to tape the inners together and pull it thru like that?
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    I just left the outer in place, removed the inner from it and then pushed the new one through. If I was changing the outer too I'd just use the inner to guide the new outer on after changing the inner.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Only replace one at a time, using the other as the guide, which way round you do it doesn't really matter!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.