Help with a starter bike Scott Speedster 45?

mollymawk14
mollymawk14 Posts: 5
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi there, I'm about to buy a new road bike and I'm tearing my hair out. I have seen a Scott Speedster Contessa 45 for sale at £425 - I can't see many reviews for this. This is around my budget really. I can also get a bike tax-free with the cycle to work scheme so buying new is ideal. Any help?

Comments

• DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Will it be your first road bike, or do you have prior road bike experience? What is it you want from the bike and what type of rides are you going to be mainly doing? Short and fast, long and steady, steady shortish social club rides? What's your maximum budget?

Don't think that you need to go for a specific womens bike by the way. It will really limit your choice. I find that most women riders in my club ride 'unisex' bikes.
  • Well, looking at the specs on Scott's website it looks pretty reasonable- you probably can't go too far wrong with it, and the triple chainset will help on the hills if you're not used to them yet.

Echoing the above though- you don't need to be restricted to women specific bikes- 'normal' bikes can also fit women fine, although you might have to change the stem length and possibly a different saddle if you disagree with the stock one.

However, if the speedster is the machine you like the look of most in the local shops etc and it feels OK fit wise then at that price you'd be hard pressed to find a 'better' machine in the shops.
  • Thanks for that guys and you are right about not needing a women's specific bike. It's just I can't quite cope with the level of choice out there. There is also the option of a Ridley Liz A10 with claris set for £599 which I love but (as I've put in another post) my husband is clear that he wants me to have a bike rack on it but it doesn't have the holes to mount a rack. I was wondering how lightweight I have to go for some p-clip options or whether this is just a rubbish option?
  • Get the bike you want, its your money never mind what your husband wants you to get.
    Like you already know you can get clip on racks but I don't know anything about them.If you don't get any joy on here ask on CTC or an Audax Forum,they know everything about racks and saddlebags.