Dura ace 24 hole hubs, which rims?

alanparsons
alanparsons Posts: 529
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
As topic.
Details of use.
I weigh 76kg.
Will be used on Wilier Zero.9 for dry rides in UK and Europe (alps).
Hubs cost £250, total budget including build will be £500 ish. (happy for it to be less)
Will keep the Fulcrum Quattro's on for most UK mileage, so these will be for best only and climbing/descending in Europe.
I was considering DA C24 or C35 but have been put off by reported rim wear.
Essential criteria, must look good (preferably black/red to match frame), alloy brake surface and clincher profile.

Comments

• Ahh... a project... ! :wink:

Archetype is the very minimum you will get away with in terms of stiffness with a 24 rear. DA 9000 hubs prevent you from using spokes with a fatter J bend section, like DT Alpine 3, which I do like rather a lot, but you can use DT Comp combined with a DT revs front. Sapim Race/Laser are just the same thing, so which ever is cheaper or available in the size you need.
    I wouldn't fall into trap of "light at all cost" using Laser or CX Ray spokes on the rear wheel, as you will compromise stiffness and good handling for the sake of a handful of grams, not worth it.
    With a 24 rear, you really need to get the tension right, 1300 N drive side, so get the right tools or get them checked by someone who has the right tools when they're finished.
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Pacenti SL23 is as stiffer as the archetype rim (stiffer in fact I think) and the Kinlin XC-279 is even stiffer.

the DA9000 hubs is now available in 18H front and the SL23 rim is available in 18H too. The front wheel does not need as many spokes as the rear.

My own experience of building 24H rear wheels with the Pacenti SL23 rim with CX-ray spokes or laser spokes is that they are quite stiff when paired with a hub like the DA9000.

Still using a stiffer spoke will do no harm but in my view if you need a stiffer wheel use a higher spoke count. With the Archetype rim it is always 24F/28R with DA9000 hubs it does not add much weight. This is a good wheelset for all weathers and high mileages.

An 18F/24R build with the Pacenti SL23 rims is really a racing wheelset. So if you don't race the archetype 24F/28R build is far better.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • An 18F/24R build with the Pacenti SL23 rims is really a racing wheelset. So if you don't race the archetype 24F/28R build is far better.

Not planning racing, but do like the look of the Pacenti rim.
    I see you are listing these in your E-bay shop. I am in Norwich so I might ride down to see you when the weather brightens up a bit.

Thanks for the advice.