Giant Defy 1 Alloy 2014 - Feedback requested!!

wotnoshoeseh
wotnoshoeseh Posts: 531
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
Folks,
I am considering one of these 2014 models, as there is, what I would consider to be, a good deal available at present. Obviously there is an excellent review on the gear section on the BikeRadar website, but I was trying to garner some feedback from owners here.

Any owners out there like to chip in with their feedback.

Thanks,
D

Comments

• JMcP92
    JMcP92 Posts: 339
    I had a 2013 Defy 1, which is almost exactly the same as the 2014, if I recall the only difference is they actually dropped the price of the 2014 by £50 and gave it a lick of paint.

Regardless, great bike, in my opinion one of the best alloy bikes in the sub £1000 range, if not the best. Comfortable, stiff and although I wouldn't call it light, it's certainly not heavy. Position is good, the groupset you get on it is wonderful group for the money and generally you can't go wrong. I liked mine enough I'm now on a 2015 Defy.
  • I have always found Giant bikes to be a bit uninspiring.

For similar money I'd probably go for the Cube Peloton Race from Chain Reaction Cycles or J E James. You get internal routed cables, Shimano 105 brakes, Shimano 105 Chainset, Mavic Aksium WTS and a slightly lighter bike.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cube-peloton-race-road-bike-2014/rp-prod114145
    2013 Canyon Ultimate AL 7.0
    2003 Specialized Allez Sport
  • KonkyWonky wrote:
    I have always found Giant bikes to be a bit uninspiring.

For similar money I'd probably go for the Cube Peloton Race from Chain Reaction Cycles or J E James. You get internal routed cables, Shimano 105 brakes, Shimano 105 Chainset, Mavic Aksium WTS and a slightly lighter bike.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cube-peloton-race-road-bike-2014/rp-prod114145

No mudguard mounts though on the Cube. I'm looking at this for a winter bike option, so ability to fit guards is required.
  • I use my defy to cycle to work every day. Would definitely recommend one. I also thought of the cube peloton but preferred the ride of the giant. Take both out for a test ride and see which you prefer.
    Here is mine fitted with the giant mud guards which are great http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13012471
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    badgermilk,

Your bike is a 2 year old Defy 2, yet you have a 2014 Defy 0 frame/fork, so have you had the original frame/fork replaced under warranty?
  • Yes it was replaced under warranty as the original paint on the chain stays started to bubble. Think it was a poor paint job from the factory. Giant and my LBS were very good to deal with.
  • All Giant frames have a lifetime warranty. Not sure what you get with Cube?
  • JC14
    JC14 Posts: 29
    I have a friend who has one I think he likes it but make sure when you buy a road bike get the one with the best specs! so it lasts a long time and you don't have to constantly replace everything!z
  • gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    I have two Defy's, an aluminium and a Composite and I love them both. Have to say though that I found the Defy specific mudguards rubbish, firstly they don't fit an XL frame so have to be frigged and also they make an awful noise despite lots of tinkering. I'm now on Cruds which have much better coverage and don't make half the noise (they still make some though!).