Whyte T129s or T130s

Jammin34
Jammin34 Posts: 36
edited January 2015 in MTB buying advice
What's the general opinion on the above bikes ?

Is one better than the other ?

I ride the T129s 2015 model today and instantly bought it, very impressive in general, the only thing I didn't like if I'm honest is the size of the rear tyre, it was tiny in comparison to the from so have upgraded that straight away !
Nice colour and all round good spec imo, just interested to know others thoughts ?

Also I noticed quite a price variance depending on where you look as the rrp I think is £2199 but I've seen it as cheep as £1799 unless that's last years model ?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you've finally bought a bike, stop thinking and start riding.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Curiosity not allowed once your bought a bike ?
  • cooldad
    It's fine if you want to regret your decision.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Easily done when given advice like that lol
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    The T-130S is obviously better as it comes in orange.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The T130s is much better, only an idiot would have bought the T129s
  • Fancy elaborating on the only an idiot would buy the t129 comment ?

Or are you just bored and fancy having a pop at someone because you have nothing better to do ?
  • rockmonkeysc
    You asked a stupid question.
  • Ok, to be clear I've asked what the choice would be to all between the 2 and why, not asked for anything but opinions as I've found a bike i like but due to the lack of knowledge would feel better for other opinions as a whole.

Ive actually only paid the deposit and collect the bike next weekend which is something i probably should have made clear in the beginning so i still have the ability to change my mind.

So for a reply of only an idiot would buy the bike in my opinion is stupid and the question is actually a fair one and excuse me for thinking the whole idea of a forum was to actually better inform people and to help them with what you call silly questions ??
  • cooldad
    I doubt many, if any, people have ridden both, so links might help.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Not being funny but you said you'd bought the bike, to me that would mean you now have it and therefore I wouldn't of bothered answering which best and would of advised that you stop worrying and get out and enjoy your new bike.

Between the bikes there's very little, the t130 has a little more travel but that's all I can see from a mobile site. So choosing between the 2 bikes would be impossible for us as it's more personal preference and the type of riding you do.
  • Antm81
    In fact I've looked again and the spec seems to be identical (drivetrain and brakes certainly are), only difference is the forks (reba vs revelation)but that is only because one bike has 120mm of travel and the other 130mm (not quite sure about rear travel, didn't see it on the mobile site) and i19 vs i23 rims. I doubt you'd notice a huge difference between them unless the geometry which I couldn't see is vastly different
  • thanks, and would you say there really is a lot of difference between a 29er for handling against a 650b ? as a newbie would i really benefit from one over the other ?
  • Antm81
    Again personal preference as much as anything. I triedva 29, hated it, other love them. Current bike is 650b, doesn't feel hugely different to 26" apart from it seems to roll a little faster.

A lot will also depend on the gene try of the frame etc though too. Personally is stick with your current choice if you had a decent ride on it and enjoyed it.
  • I know exactly where your coming from OP. Im considering both of these bikes as well. I'm planning on a trip down to Swinley Bike Hub to take a test ride before i commit to either though. I know for sure they have a t130s in my size but gonna give them a call for the t129s. Putting the current steed (Cube AMS) up for sale to use as a deposit was the hardest thing though i think lol.
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    the t129 has 68deg h/a and 67.5 for the t130 minor difference on s/t angle t129 73.8 and t130 73.5 (both size L)
    obvious a wheel size offer from the brand, to get more people to buy.
    Honestly with whyte there isn't much to go wrong.

t129 29er
    t130 27.5
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Steve0184 wrote:
    I know exactly where your coming from OP. Im considering both of these bikes as well. I'm planning on a trip down to Swinley Bike Hub to take a test ride before i commit to either though. I know for sure they have a t130s in my size but gonna give them a call for the t129s. Putting the current steed (Cube AMS) up for sale to use as a deposit was the hardest thing though i think lol.

I myself have only just heard about Swinley and saw that they have the Whyte down there so for the sake of a few quid i may take a trip there too and at least try the T130s as i'm now really curious about the difference in wheel size
  • Antm81
    Herdwick wrote:
    t129 29er
    t130 27.5

My bad didn't notice that.
  • Just out of interest is it as easy as replacing the rear Tyre with a larger wider Tyre ? or is it quite complicated in the sense of the bike being designed to those particular sizes and making up that specific geometry ?

I don't like the slim Tyre on the back at all and would like to change it if that's possible ?
  • mattham
    mattham Posts: 75
    Seriously, you can drive yourself insane with this sort of mental debate with yourself.

There is a thread on Singletrack I think from last summer debating the relative merits of both, but it really comes down to preference and type of riding. The benefit of my experience is that I have a T129 and love it, though I didn't try the T130. Whyte make decent bikes, you have made a good choice and wont go wrong with it so just get out and ride!!

If you rode it and loved it, end of, trust your own judgement....

As far as the rear tyre is concerned, my experience is that the geometry - angles and chain stay length in particular - really suit a narrower rear tyre, it allows you to run a faster rolling tyre and still retain the grip and control. I've used a Maxxis Ikon (2.2) on the rear in summer and a Beaver (2.0) in the winter with excellent results. I'm not saying these are the best tyres ever and I will probably change the Ikon to the Ardent that was originally on the front and get a different front tyre, but having paid for the benefit of the designer's skill and experience, I am going to use it until it wears out or I have a problem! :D:D
  • rockmonkeysc
    As long as it fits between the chain stays you can fit whatever width tyre you want. Geometry isn't specific to tyre widths. I would be surprised if a 2.35" tyre won't fit but i wouldn't go any wider than that on an i19 rim although i wouldn't go any wider than that anyway. The only thing you can't change is wheel/tyre diameter.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    If I were changing my mind I'd change it for this http://www.canyon.com/en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=3560 much better spec and £200 cheaper.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • cooldad
    robertpb wrote:
    If I were changing my mind I'd change it for this http://www.canyon.com/en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=3560 much better spec and £200 cheaper.

Here we go...
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    robertpb wrote:

It's not all about the bits bolted to the frame. I found the Canyons i rode rather uninspiring with very linear rear suspension and rear end flex. Whyte do make a very good frame.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    They stiffened the frame up for the 2015 model
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • rockmonkeysc
    Have they sorted out the suspension and made them a bit more fun as well?
  • With the T-129S rear tyre size is limited due to the chainstay width, and would be my only criticism (but not a big one), i wouldnt want to go wider than 2.1 on the rear due to clearance. I bought my Whyte back in September and so far been really happy with it. Recently changed tyres to Schwalbe Hands Dampf 2.35 on the front and a 2.1 Rocket Ron on the back setup tubeless and really happy with the new rubber.
    The T-130S is a 650b with 10ml more travel, not much else different apart from that.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • rockmonkeysc
    2.1 is very narrow. Fine for steady xc but rocky trails are going to cause a lot of pinch flats.
  • Been ok on the Rocky trails ive done so far, running tubeless to prevent the flats/punctures.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube