Best navigation unit

Paul 8v
Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
edited January 2015 in MTB buying advice
At present I have a Garmin 200 and I'm looking to upgrade to something with a few more features, before I get started on the nav aspect, the new one must have the following:

Ant+ connection for Cadence and HRM
A nice to have would be the future possibility of connecting a power meter but not essential.

With regards to the navigation side I can't really tell from the Garmin site whether the units will do what I want them to or if anyone has a suggestion for another make then I am open to suggestions. The unit would need to do the following:

Upload a pre-planned ride

Be able to include bridleways, farm tracks, green lanes etc in the routes and in some places like Danbury none of the routes are any of these so just a "Go in this direction" function would be useful.

Navigate to a village, town etc whilst out on a ride i.e. "I'm lost, take me back to Chelmsford" without having to have preprogrammed a route in before. My friend tried it on his Garmin and it was an absolute pain to do this.

The last (And most infuriating) thing with garmins is if you go off course it will only take you back to where you went wrong rather than finding the quickest way to get back to your route an ultimate destination, any deviation and it goes bonkers.

If anyone can help me with a unit that can do this I would be very grateful,

Paul