Looking to get the best 27.5 carbon hardtail I can... advice

KobeRich
KobeRich Posts: 4
edited January 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi folks!

Rich here, posting from Japan as a MTB lover. I have a Scott Scale Limited, which I bought from the UK about 5 years ago, still in great shape but a 26-incher and I am really keen to get the best possible 27.5 inch machine I can...I think that will suit. Has to be carbon, hardtail and 27.5.

I live close to great mountains and trails, but however illogical it may seem, ride on roads and normal tracks more than off-road... just love the look, feel and ride of a mountain bike more than a road bike and it has suited me that way so far. The occasional off-road track is fun though. I also do races/events of 100-250km around Japan and really enjoy them.

The Scott has been and still is fantastic, about 9kg when bought and having got used to a great quality bike, I would like the next one to be as good or even slightly better, although that is completely subjective. I've found a few possible choices and would welcome any input from you guys. I think they're all great bikes but opinions welcome. Particularly interested in the main differences between these choices, what would I notice (apologies for sounding totally clueless), marginal pluses/minuses of each?

1. (first choice at the moment)
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bik ... 827/66311/

2. (looks good also, love the colours)
http://www.orbea.com/us-en/bicycles/alma-mteam/

3. (Back to Scott!)
http://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/p ... 0-RC-Bike/

Any other recommendations on a par with these bikes would be more than welcome. Thanks in advance, hope this isn't too long a query.

Cheers
Rich.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Of the three, the Orbea as I don't like GXP cranksets, otherwise the Scott as the Giant has Avid brakes which feel ghastly compared to Shimano which are simply much better.

Given your usage, have you considered getting a bespoke bike built, use an MTB disc frame, CX (700c/29er) wheels narrower (lower rolling resistance) tyres and the best components for your use, maybe consider rigid forks for example? I was out on a ride with a friend of mine today on rental bikes (we are working overseas) I was on a Giant Roam 700c Hybrid, he was on a Revel MTB (on mildly treaded 2.1" tyres) even on 35mm tyres the Roam was much much faster rolling and on coasting downhills would open big gaps. You could get a much faster bike for your use and within your preferences for potentially less money, my commuter is a flat barred Hybrid, rigid forks, mostly MTB kit and on a budget (less than £500) weighs 9.2Kg and is much faster on road than my MTB's would ever be.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Excellent initial feedback thanks. Custom is probably the way to go for the black sheep type like me who wants a bit of both, an MTB look and feel which can also run along roads and downhill efficiently. I do love the Orbea so far.

Going to try my best to get a look at these bikes in person somewhere in Japan, a bit more of a challenge here, but definitely a fun one.

Thanks again, all other feedback welcome.
    Rich
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I wouldn't call you a black sheep at all, it's what I prefer to ride on road as well.

This is my commuter, I can average circa 20mph across country, this is a Hybrid frame - although that's fairly academic - but as you can see, I use MTB wheels (these are 26") with relatively narrow slick road tyres, it has disc brakes and is running lightweight Mosso forks (a little whippy but great for absorbing road inputs) which weigh about half what any suspension fork weighs, I run the stem slammed on the headset (no spacers) and inverted with flat bars to drop the bars low for aero, they are also unfashionably narrow (580mm which used to be normal for an XC bike) bars for the same reason, without rack and mudgaurds it's 9.2 Kg on a humble Carrera frame (1.9Kg), I run it 1x9 gearing as that suites my commute usage, you may need a double up front if the routes are hillier as you need low enough to get up and don't want to run out of gears on the way down!

20150105_132605_zpsf4apkc7w.jpg
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    I'd keep what you've got unless its damaged
  • The Rookie - thanks again - nice bike! Briefly yes, I would need a double up front, the mountains here are quite tough. This is one pretty demanding climb I've done a stone's throw from me.... sorry for the horrible jerky video which I just grabbed from someone:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq6IoPXElwA

Poah - I definitely intend to keep my Scott, agree with you there. Needs a bit of looking at but still going pretty well. But something's nagging at me to get a new bike (inner voice) and I don't feel like resisting !