Foam/sponge packing for bike box

johnnymcg259
johnnymcg259 Posts: 569
edited January 2019 in Road buying advice
Has anyone got a heads up as to where I can get hold of some foam packing to go in and around the bike whilst its in a bike box please?
I already have the foam pipe lagging stuff which will go around the bike tubes etc but really want some pieces to lay either side of the bike etc.
Any help/advice welcome guys. Thanks, Johnny

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Some of the larger B&Q stores sell noma acoustic sound absorbinging foam, 0.5m x 1m x 25mm which could be used, or buy one of those single bed size memory foam toppers and cut it up to suit.

If you have a packaging supply company locally try them also, they will usually have something and can be cheaper if they sell to the public.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I bought 50 metres of bubble wrap for £9.99 from the local commercial stationers and went mad with it and turned the bike and wheels into bubble wrap mountains that would survive a nuclear blast.

I still have 30 metres in the shed.......
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • thanks both.....ebay looks likely........
  • marpick
    marpick Posts: 49
    Took my roubaix to Lanzarote in my PlanetX bike bag wrapped in lagging on the tubes and bubble wrap most other places/parts, bought the bubble wrap for £1 a roll, used 2 rolls, from The Range, although other outlets are available :D

No problems at all!
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    Following a recommendation on here I bought some Jablite insulation sheets from B&Q - which are basically big sheets of expanded polystyrene. Not as pliable as foam, but work very well in my bike bag, giving it some structure and stopping it folding over. If you have a hard box might not be necessary, if you have a soft bag then they are highly recommended. You can fairly easily cut them into shapes with a knife or a fret saw to slot in and around your frame.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Just go to your local bike store and ask. They will have tons of it if they sell bikes as they are delivered with lots of foam packing. Mine has a recycling skip out the back and they allow me to rummage through and take whatever I want when I ask...

PP