Carbon Road Frame

andrewthomas197
andrewthomas197 Posts: 117
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
I am getting bored on these cold winter nights and I have decided to build myself a cheap winter project.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with cheap Chinese carbon frames and who you would suggest I look at.

Just want to build something light and cheap to run around on in the Spring and for training etc.

All the best and thanks in advance.

Comments

• I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with cheap Chinese carbon frames and who you would suggest I look at.

Have you tried the internet/ eBay?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    I am getting bored on these cold winter nights and I have decided to build myself a cheap winter project.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with cheap Chinese carbon frames and who you would suggest I look at.

Just want to build something light and cheap to run around on in the Spring and for training etc.

All the best and thanks in advance.

I did this last year. Didnt want to trash the Wilier over the winter so bought a FM029 frame from Dengfu. I stripped the kit off the Wilier and re-assembled on the Chinese frame. Only cost me some cables and a BB at the time. Build process was fine and the frame is great. I'd say its slightly stiffer than the Wilier Izoard frame. THey paint it any colour you like

Here is a thread I made on it.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12943843&p=18563902

I've put about 2200 miles on it since without any issues. I rebuilt the Wilier with better kit in the spring and rode it but I might swap the groupo over and sell the Wilier now.

I'd say go for it but stick to the established suppliers. Velobuild might be worth a look
  • TheHound
    TheHound Posts: 284
    Isn't it the components rather than frame that get beat up in winter?
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
    Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
    Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Deda Superleggero seatpost
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Avoid Velobuild like the plague. Their reputation has gone downhill in recent months and as they're affiliated with a certain supplier, everything on their forum and website is biased. If any of the registered forum members post anything negative, they get banned.

The FM029 is a pretty old frame now and the Chinese suppliers are now building much more advanced frames.
  • DKay wrote:
    Avoid Velobuild like the plague. Their reputation has gone downhill in recent months and as they're affiliated with a certain supplier, everything on their forum and website is biased. If any of the registered forum members post anything negative, they get banned.

The FM029 is a pretty old frame now and the Chinese suppliers are now building much more advanced frames.

I've got a Velobuild R016 which I'm quite happy with, and communication was good, but after deleting the forums completely from their site without warning I'd be hesitant on using them again. Deng Fu are quite highly regarded, from what I hear. Farsports are the ones to go to for wheels.