slipping gears

TheSloog
TheSloog Posts: 50
edited January 2015 in Workshop
My winter bike (a nice early 90s Ciocc for anyone interested) shifts up and down when in the middle of the cassette. It's a standard double chainset with (probably) a 11-25 block on the back. Any ideas why? Friction shifters on the downtube btw.
Cheers

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,113
    Have the friction levers lost their friction? ie Are the levers slipping? Only takes a small shift to loose the gear. I presume the gear wants to shift downwards? This would indicate that they are worn out.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Ghost shifting could be lots of things.

At this time of year you are probably looking for gummed-up cables.

I have also had seized derailleur pivots and rear hub problems that affect shifting if allowed to get bad enough.

Sounds like you look after the bike, but if you are lax with maintenance then debris buildup on jockey wheels or cassette can make shifting difficult to control because the chain does not sit on the sprocket properly.

I imagine it's a steel frame? So probably no derailleur hanger; if you do have one then it's worth checking to see if it's bent or loose.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Thanks for the replies, the gears are fine on the smallest few and biggest few cogs (of nine) and the levers seem to work well. It's just in the middle two or three cogs that they shift by themselves. The groupset is a bit of a hotchpotch but I can't see any reason for such behaviour given that it's not indexed shifting.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    A worn cassette can do that too - and the middle gears are generally used more than the others.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • k-dog wrote:
    A worn cassette can do that too - and the middle gears are generally used more than the others.

Obviously time to replace the bike then :D
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,113
    k-dog wrote:

Obviously time to replace the bike then :D

Heathen. It's a Ciocc.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!