Forum home Road cycling forum Road general

Garmin 810 course navigation

BillyImpBillyImp Posts: 130
edited January 2015 in Road general
Hi all,
Recently upgraded from a Garmin Edge Touring to the Edge 810 model, really happy with the upgrade except for one thing, I can't seem to get the turn guidance feature to work on the 810. On the touring I could plan a course on Garmin Connect and export it to the device, when I chose to ride the course it would give me turn by turn directions and a map would pop up on the screen when a turn was coming up. When I do the same on the Edge 810 however, the map shows the purple course overlayed on the map but doesn't display any directions. When I press at the top to look for the next turn it says "no course is active" or something along those lines.
Any idea as to how to turn the guidance on? Is it something obvious I'm missing in the settings?
Cheers

Posts

  • NeXXusNeXXus Posts: 854
    Turn it "on" in the course settings for each course
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • BillyImp wrote:
    Hi all,
    Recently upgraded from a Garmin Edge Touring to the Edge 810 model, really happy with the upgrade except for one thing, I can't seem to get the turn guidance feature to work on the 810. On the touring I could plan a course on Garmin Connect and export it to the device, when I chose to ride the course it would give me turn by turn directions and a map would pop up on the screen when a turn was coming up. When I do the same on the Edge 810 however, the map shows the purple course overlayed on the map but doesn't display any directions. When I press at the top to look for the next turn it says "no course is active" or something along those lines.
    Any idea as to how to turn the guidance on? Is it something obvious I'm missing in the settings?
    Cheers

    Look at your settings under actvity profiles, navigation settings are there.

    http://ridewithgps.com/edge_810
  • BillyImpBillyImp Posts: 130
    NeXXus wrote:
    Turn it "on" in the course settings for each course
    That works on an 800 but can't find the setting on the 810, cheers.
  • BillyImpBillyImp Posts: 130
    freezing77 wrote:
    BillyImp wrote:
    Hi all,
    Recently upgraded from a Garmin Edge Touring to the Edge 810 model, really happy with the upgrade except for one thing, I can't seem to get the turn guidance feature to work on the 810. On the touring I could plan a course on Garmin Connect and export it to the device, when I chose to ride the course it would give me turn by turn directions and a map would pop up on the screen when a turn was coming up. When I do the same on the Edge 810 however, the map shows the purple course overlayed on the map but doesn't display any directions. When I press at the top to look for the next turn it says "no course is active" or something along those lines.
    Any idea as to how to turn the guidance on? Is it something obvious I'm missing in the settings?
    Cheers

    Look at your settings under actvity profiles, navigation settings are there.

    http://ridewithgps.com/edge_810


    Cheers, I'll try adjusting to those settings and see if it makes any difference, can't see an option specifically for course/navigation guidance though?
  • Power on
    Click on SETTINGS (the spanner) bottom right
    Click on ACTIVITY PROFILES
    Click on one of the existing profiles (on road or off road by default) or click on the + to create your own
    Click on NAVIGATION
    Click on MAP
    Click on GUIDE TEXT and ensure that WHEN NAVIGATING is displayed.

    You might also want to also go back one step then click on ROUTING and then turn off RECALCULATION or set it to prompted as I found that the 810 would do strange things if it was set to Auto. There has been a firmware update in the meantime so that issue might be cured.
  • BillyImpBillyImp Posts: 130
    Power on
    Click on SETTINGS (the spanner) bottom right
    Click on ACTIVITY PROFILES
    Click on one of the existing profiles (on road or off road by default) or click on the + to create your own
    Click on NAVIGATION
    Click on MAP
    Click on GUIDE TEXT and ensure that WHEN NAVIGATING is displayed.

    You might also want to also go back one step then click on ROUTING and then turn off RECALCULATION or set it to prompted as I found that the 810 would do strange things if it was set to Auto. There has been a firmware update in the meantime so that issue might be cured.

    Thanks Guernsey Donkey for the reply, have followed the instructions above but unfortunately it still doesn't display the next turn or junction. If I search an address and choose to navigate to it then the navigation works fine, it's only an issue with courses it seems. I'm using Garmin Connect to create the courses by the way.
  • Interesting...

    I just tried making a short course of 400m with two left turns and a roundabout using Garmin connect and upload to the 810. The result was no guidance.

    I don't usually use Garmin connect to build route as I prefer to build them in Strava and then export them as a gpx to the 810 (instructions are on the strava site when you click on export).

    Maybe try using Strava or RidewithGPS and see if the problem still exists.
  • BillyImpBillyImp Posts: 130
    Interesting...

    I just tried making a short course of 400m with two left turns and a roundabout using Garmin connect and upload to the 810. The result was no guidance.

    I don't usually use Garmin connect to build route as I prefer to build them in Strava and then export them as a gpx to the 810 (instructions are on the strava site when you click on export).

    Maybe try using Strava or RidewithGPS and see if the problem still exists.

    Yeah having had a quick google it seems the 810 doesn't like garmin connect files (another garmin connect censored up!!), will go back to using ridewithgps or strava, it's a shame because it's so easy to ping the course to the 810 via Bluetooth.
  • BillyImp wrote:
    NeXXus wrote:
    Turn it "on" in the course settings for each course
    That works on an 800 but can't find the setting on the 810, cheers.

    Look at this video for detailed routing settings that are under the actvity profile.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzN2qqEREdo
  • BillyImpBillyImp Posts: 130
    Quick test and it works fine with ride with gps courses with the settings kept exactly the same. Thanks for the workaround and glad it's sorted but it's bonkers that Garmin can't get their own courses to work with their device when 3rd party route planners can.
  • il_principeil_principe Posts: 9,146
    Garmin's software is a complete waste of time.
    2015 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX
    2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX
    2020 Canyon Inflite SL 7
    On the Strand
    Crown Stables
  • BillyImpBillyImp Posts: 130
    I found a fix for this for those interested, it turns out the 3.40 firmware removes turn by turn by default. To turn it back on you have to tap on the folder on the main screen (bottom left) > courses> 3 bars > Turn Guidance

    Hope that helps someone out!
Sign In or Register to comment.