Difference between 12mm axle & maxle

gregwari
gregwari Posts: 230
edited January 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I'm looking to convert my Meta 55 rear 9mm QR (I'm running Hope Pro 2 hubs which I understand are convertable).
Question - whats the difference beween 12mm axle and a maxle, and any views on which way to go?

Ta

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    They can be the same. RS developed the Maxel as a qr fat axel. Originally 20mm front. But now available in different sizes front and rear.

Be aware if your hub is not the evo don't bother as the internal hub axel is not supported enough and will fail.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hopefully your rear is 10mm QR (standard), 9mm is the standard front axle diameter for a QR.

You can't run a 12mm in a stock frame, but can run the right type of 10mm if your hub will accept it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    The Rookie wrote:
    Hopefully your rear is 10mm QR (standard), 9mm is the standard front axle diameter for a QR.

You can't run a 12mm in a stock frame, but can run the right type of 10mm if your hub will accept it.
    and later Meta 55 have switchable rear drop out allowing options including 12mm rear axels.
    either a 12mm through axel
    http://www.commencal-store.co.uk/PBSCPr ... D=12502631
    or the Maxle
    http://www.commencal-store.co.uk/PBSCPr ... D=12502119
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • gregwari
    gregwari Posts: 230
    Nicklouse - you're a diamond. Cheers for that, I've also been checking which drop outs I needed (and the hubs are the Evo so I'm good to go)

cheers guys