Genuinely overlooked service items

964cup
964cup Posts: 1,362
edited January 2015 in Workshop
I wasn't overly impressed with the latest Home Wrench article. Most of the suggestions in there seemed to me absolutely routine servicing. Here's my suggestions:

a) Bottom bracket bearing condition and preload
b) Spoke tension, especially NDS rear
c) Wheel hub bearings, especially Shimano-style cup & cone; also bearing pre-load
d) Spanner-check - checking that all bolts are to specified torque; especially headset bolt and crank pinch bolts
e) Rear derailleur jockey wheels - take the cage apart, clean the hair/grass/other crap out of the bearings
f) Brake centering - check that the brakes are pulling evenly, not deflecting the rim
g) Confirm the seatpost can be removed, before it seizes - especially alloy posts in steel frames
h) (for Di2/EPS) Firmware updates - how many people ever do this?
i) Saddle height and alignment - check the seatpost hasn't slipped and the saddle is perfectly level

What are yours?

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Wasn't too great. Three flats per tyre is a ludicrous means to determine the life of a tyre and he doesn't know much about chain wear or chain wear measuring devices. Doesn't give much confidence.

Not sure there are overlooked items if you do it properly. Occasional strip and rebuild should pick everything up anyway. That aside, I suspect everyones blind spots are different.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Quick release skewers lubed and moving freely (voice of experience after rusted-in skewer contributed to front wheel coming off).