To the CEO of Specialized

Dippydog3
Dippydog3 Posts: 414
edited January 2015 in Road general
Do you think he will reply to my email?

"Ok, so I have only bought four bikes from Specialized in the last 18 months, so I am not your biggest customer, but I did get the first Diverge that came into the UK and I must have told everyone I know how great it is, so I am trying!

I am struggling though, as I want to buy the new 143mm Team colour Phenom Pro or S Works saddle for it.

I called my local dealer. He doesn't have one.
I called Specialized UK, they have no plans to bring it to the UK.
I called several dealers in the US. They dont have one.
I went online to order one. You dont ship overseas.
I get a friend who is visiting New York to agree to bring it back for me, but your online shop will not accept UK credit cards.

I retired from the IT industry having seen literally thousands of companies become easier to deal with through e commerce. Its not difficult.

But buying from Specialized seems to be really difficult.

If I had any hair left I would pull it out.

Surely you can solve this problem. Please."

Comments

• Don't you have a thread already open somewhere about this freaking saddle?

There are contracts of distribution and if Specialized has a distribution channel in the UK, you can't buy from the US. If the saddle is not available in the UK, you can try elsewhere in the EU or you can see if you can get it on Ebay from outside the EU.

Otherwise give up and get another saddle.. .Specs saddles are crap anyway
    left the forum March 2023
  • This kind of thing annoys me too.

I thought it was illegal to restrict sales in this way, especially refusing a UK credit card (have you tried Paypal?)

The reason of course is to protect the high margins in Europe by not allowing us access to US prices (although the $ has strengthened a lot lately, so not so enticing).

I bought a mower* from John Deere in New York by bank transfer, hired a container, and had it shipped to Le Havre. Saved 30 000E.

*was a demo model so technically 2nd hand.
  • If they brought it in I can assure you they'll charge the same in £ as $.

So, £300 saddle.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • 30,000 Euros on a mower? :shock: :shock:
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Dippydog3 wrote:
    I have only bought four bikes from Specialized in the last 18 months,

Perhaps get some imagination and try some other stuff?
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • I thought it was illegal to restrict sales in this way, .

Only between EU countries. Between the US and EU there is no such restriction.

maxresdefault.jpg
  • Actually this is more like it

152176.jpg
  • Dippydog3
    There are contracts of distribution and if Specialized has a distribution channel in the UK, you can't buy from the US. If the saddle is not available in the UK, you can try elsewhere in the EU or you can see if you can get it on Ebay from outside the EU.

Otherwise give up and get another saddle.. .Specs saddles are crap anyway

As this is not about the acquisition, more about whether Spesh will reply, I deemed it a new topic. Sorry, wasn't aware there was a limit.

Thank you for attempting to teach me the basics of commerce. The item is not going to be sold in the EU so this is not a channel conflict issue. It is also not available on ebay.

One mans crap is another mans delight. The Phenom is perfect for me. I find it completely comfortable and I like the looks. Not everything you dont personally like is crap.

Nice to see you are continuing to be an unbiased moderator. :P
    I thought it was illegal to restrict sales in this way, especially refusing a UK credit card (have you tried Paypal?)
    I tried Paypal, which they said would be OK, but it isnt. Has to be a US paypal account.
    Dippydog3 wrote:
    I have only bought four bikes from Specialized in the last 18 months,

Perhaps get some imagination and try some other stuff?
    I have.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Of course you have. It just happens that Specialized make the best of everything for you!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris

• Dippydog3
    Of course you have. It just happens that Specialized make the best of everything for you!
    Big assumption. And its wrong.

Two of the bikes I bought were presents for others.
    I have five bikes, two are from Spesh, so they are not even in the majority.

I am sure there are lots of great saddles out there, but as I have found one that is so comfortable I do not know it is there I cannot be bothered trying others that might just achieve the same thing.

Anyway, enough about the saddle. This is about whether their CEO takes customer service seriously. It would be so easy for him to sort this and use it as a positive PR thing.
  • Dippydog3 wrote:
    Big assumption. And its wrong.

Two of the bikes I bought were presents for others.
    I have five bikes, two are from Spesh, so they are not even in the majority.

I am sure there are lots of great saddles out there, but as I have found one that is so comfortable I do not know it is there I cannot be bothered trying others that might just achieve the same thing.

Anyway, enough about the saddle. This is about whether their CEO takes customer service seriously. It would be so easy for him to sort this and use it as a positive PR thing.

I despair of this forum sometimes! You ask a reasonable question (in this and your other thread) (and who gives a toss if you have two or one thread!) and get these answers! Personally I was, and am, interested in both threads. IME Spesh CS is second to none, all my dealings with them have been exemplary so I was really surprised to hear of your difficulties. I would expect you to get a quick answer to your email.

A lot of anti Spesh prejudice around - have to say they haven't done themselves any favours with recent litigations though!
  • Duplicate thread
This discussion has been closed.