Oval Chainrings and Front Derailleur Adjustment

FlagshipBike
FlagshipBike Posts: 4
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
Just curious about some oval chainrings. I've heard of some of the biomechanical advantages, however what has me curious is the mechanical disadvantages of the Front Derailleur. Im guessing there is a slight decrease in shifting performance, but how hard are they to adjust and keep tuned?

Im someone who can adjust my own derailleurs pretty well, but would getting an oval chainring setup going to drive me crazy and force me to take it into the shop to get things dialed?

Comments

• mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Never had many issues with mine on my shiv tt bike. Just needed to raise my front mech up a bit for the high point and that was all. Was on sram red and worked perfect. Mine was the osymetric too which are almost swuare! Threw the chain a few times but not many in probably 5000 miles over six months
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Not an issue on either of my bikes fitted with them.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • moefoemil
    moefoemil Posts: 254
    I've got a pair of Dovel rings fitted on my Ribble Stealth and was surprised at how good/smooth the shifting was. I am running them with a Sram Red front mech and Sram Force shifters.
    Hope this helps.
    Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,663
    Never had many issues with mine on my shiv tt bike. Just needed to raise my front mech up a bit for the high point and that was all. Was on sram red and worked perfect. Mine was the osymetric too which are almost swuare! Threw the chain a few times but not many in probably 5000 miles over six months

:shock: You rode that much mileage on a TT bike???
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • No problems at all with DA9000 and Di29070.
  • t.bill
    t.bill Posts: 1
    The mechanic on the Art's Cyclery blog recommended a shim, but it looks like it isn't always necessary depending on which setup you have. http://blog.artscyclery.com/ask-a-mecha ... eur-setup/
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Yep used to go out 7 am every morning in mallorca as i never started work until 1pm so could easily have 100 miles done each day then home for shower and scooter to work. That was the good days. Now a long distant memeory. :-(
  • That vid was great. Just what I was needing as I had similar issues with my Rotor rings. Thanks!