Giant Propel EPS + General EPS Question

markwb79
markwb79 Posts: 937
edited January 2015 in Workshop
Hi,

I am going to start here...

I want to build a Giant Propel with Campag EPS.

I have several questions...I have only found one person that has done this before and they won't share any info with me.

How does the battery mount in the frame? One bike shop has suggested wrapping the battery in bar tape because the EPS bracket doesn't fit. I heard that Cervelo also has a problem fitting EPS batteries into the seat post.

Charging: I just read that the Propel doesn't have a charging hole as its usually with Di2 and the charging is at the bars so I understand.

Any other things I should think of or consider?

Thanks a lot
Mark
Scott Addict 2011
Giant TCR 2012

Comments

• izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    There are different Propel frames - some having Di2 battery fixing points on the chainstay whilst others have nothing.

If you had a Di2 fixing point it would not be hard to make a bracket up to fit the EPS battery on the chainstay.

As for charging, I have an ISP so use the charging point on the junction box under the stem. However, if you have external battery on the chainstay you could do it directly.
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    izza wrote:
    There are different Propel frames - some having Di2 battery fixing points on the chainstay whilst others have nothing.

If you had a Di2 fixing point it would not be hard to make a bracket up to fit the EPS battery on the chainstay.

As for charging, I have an ISP so use the charging point on the junction box under the stem. However, if you have external battery on the chainstay you could do it directly.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I want to use a internal battery though.

Do you use EPS with your frame?

I assume you can just run two wires out of the front of the frame, one for the junction box and one for charging?
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    I use Di2 and have had two Propel frames.

The Di2 battery is a close fit inside the ISP and merely based on photos and websites I have seen the EPS battery is larger. If you want it hidden then could it squeeze into the frame with the steerer tube removed? Then use bubble wrap to hold in place?

On the non-Di2 grommets supplied there are two holes on the top tube. These could be bastardized to take two EPS wires if that is what you need for charging.