medium cage with cassette expander

andy37
andy37 Posts: 120
edited January 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, just getting all the bits i need to go 1 x 10 from my triple set up and think it will be all zee components, the only problem is the rear mech states only for use up to 36t but i want to use a 40t cassette expander. Im wondering if i use the large B limit screw thats provided if this will allow the zee mech to work properly?

Thanks in advance, Andy

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    It'll make it work but not optimally as the spec.
  • mac-cos
    mac-cos Posts: 80
    I've converted two bikes to 1x10 with a 42T range extender using Zee FR mechs. One worked ok (IMO) and the other had lots of random/delayed shifts. Subsequently I've added the RadR cage to the Zee's and the worst shifting bike has improved, its hard to how much it improved the other as I moved the whole gears/cassettes/mechs etc to a new frame/wheels at same time as fitting the RadR cage so still bedding in but it seems good (after one ride in the gloop). One thing is its imperative to get the chain length at a point where its not too short. I didn't need a longer b-screw at any point (even on the crap shifter) but it shifting performance seems to vary on a bike by bike basis as to whether it will be acceptable using an unmodified Zee mech ( I found Zees to have clunky shifting even on stock cassette ranges). If you have a Full Sus check how much chain growth you have fully compressed as this could be an issue
  • andy37
    Thanks for the detail reply. Yeah it's going on an orange 5 but if I'm honest not sure how to check chain growth?? I'm happy to use an slx or poss xt (shadow plus) mech but ideally don't want a long cage just for clearance as in less hanging around to snag on rocks
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    OneUp components sell a replacement cage for the Zee mech to suit the 40t. Even a standard medium cage isn't ideal.
  • andy37
    I will be looking at a different mech now I think. So slight change in Q, will a medium cage in slx/xt be suitable for this setup?
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    My Zee Fr Works fine with a 40t T-Rex.
  • andy37
    Thanks everyone for your input. I think im going to go with an SLX mech with a 34 front chainring just to make sure i have all options covered in case i want to add an expander later. I found some really good info on oneup's website http://int.oneupcomponents.com/pages/compatibility regarding which mechs/ cassettes are compatable with what size gears and cassette expanders.