Tubular Inflation Woe...

pippi_langsamer-2
pippi_langsamer-2 Posts: 1,470
edited January 2015 in Workshop
Running a 25mm Conti Competition on my rear DA9000, but it seems there’s something wrong with the valve.

All attempts to inflate the tub fail as it’s as if the valve is locked/ blocked. The wheels came with tub already glued and inflated, although it has obv lost air over the winter. As far as I can make out, the tub has the long valve stem fitted as opposed to an extender. I could perhaps understand it if it was an extender and the inner valve was screwed down (although why someone would do that I dunno), but it def appears to be a non-extended valve.

Ideas? Sarcastic or otherwise?

Comments

• JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    I assume you mean that when you attempt to inflate, no air gets past the valve.
    Perhaps the valve (or stem) is clogged with sealant.
    If the valve has a removable core, then remove it and try again to see what happens.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    edited January 2015
    If it has a removable valve core just unscrew it and clean or replace. Did you use sealant in the tube? Sealant can clog up the valve especially when left unused for long periods of time. Also when you throw away presta tubes, save the valve cores as spares for situations like this.

JayKosta beat me to it.
  • Tried removing the core- still no-go.

There's no evidence of sealant as far as I can see....

The tub came fitted on the wheels i bought second hand. The seller didnt indicate he'd put sealant in.
  • I doubt you would see the sealant that was causing the issue.

Remove the core, and gently clear the valve stem with something, being carefull not to just ram a screwdriver down it and into the tub.

The sealant (if any) will solidify around the inner end of the valve.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and also try a new core.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,664
    Tried inflation with something like a compressor, or maybe a CO2 cartridge instead of a track pump? The extra "shock" of the air pressure from those may just unstick whatever it is in the valve? Doesn't take much to clog them up.

Alternatively, just put in a new core and see if the problem persists?
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Alas! You were right- after assuming the valve was a long-neck variety with no extender, I ended up removing the tub which revealed it was indeed fitted with an extender. Part of the reason for my thinking it wasn’t was the fact it was next to impossible to unscrew the extender whilst the tub was mounted. Once removed, I managed to get the extender off to reveal a plug of dried sealant. Didn’t have much choice other than to gently poke it thru into the tube which succeeded in expelling the rest of the air that was in there. As the sealant seems to have dried up, I’m hoping there won’t be any repeat of the blocking. Glad it’s saved me forking out £50 on a new tub, as it’s barely worn. Now, where’s that glue……