Switch from Freewheel to Freehub - advice needed

BornToRoll
BornToRoll Posts: 4
edited January 2015 in The workshop
I have a Trek FX 7.1 and have snapped 2 rear axles in the last 9 months. It seems the latest axle snap has damaged the freewheel so badly form inside that it now cannot be removed. I was unable to loosen it even using a bench vice and a LOT of force - nor was a local bike shop mechanic who informed me the wheel was broken and now unusavable.

Therefore a new wheel seems necessary, so...

I was thinking of changing from the existing 7 speed freewheel to a freehub wheel as I believe it would make the instances of axle breaks less likely.

I guess I would probably use a 7 speed cassette with a spacer?

However, my question is - what would the knock on effect of this change be? Would there need to be adjustments made to the chain, derailleurs etc (or even new ones fitted)? Or would it be possible to simply set up the new wheel/cassette and carry on riding as before (seems too good to be true)?

Any advice gratefully received!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    first you need to check that the O.L.D. of the frame/old hub will match the O.L.D. of a new hub.

7spd freewheel hubs were 126mm O.L.D. IIRC

finding a new 7spd cassette hub will be fun. later hubs are wider at 130mm so some adjustment of the frame if steel will be needed. if not steel then you have issues.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    How old's the bike? I would think the rear is probably 130 or 135, as even my 95 hybrid was 135 and the earliest Trek made a 7.1FX appears to be 2006.

In which case I'd get something appropriate like a Deore hub with a mavic rim (for 135) or have one hand built and stick an 8 speed cassette on there and set the rear mech to miss either the top or bottom gear. Alternatively stick a 7 speed cassette on the hub but you'll also have to add a spacer to take up the slack.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Chances are it's 135mm OLD.

When you switch to a freehub you can also use a 8-speed cassette if you have trouble finding a 7-speed item; the spacing is the same as 7-speed, you will just have one redundant sprocket in the cluster.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    When I snapped the axle on the last rear freewheel (6 speed) compatible wheel I had I tried a Shimano 8/9/10 freehub wheel in the mid 1990s steel frame and found that it fitted. I fitted an 8 speed cassette and chain and change the down-tube 7 speed gear levers to a set of 8 speed ones I had in my spares box.
    I would suggest you borrow a wheel from someone and see if it fits.

7 speed cassettes are also readily available but mainly in more mountain bike ratios 12-28 being closest.
    http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... 0s150p2338