GoPro mount, not helmet

tramuntanacycling
tramuntanacycling Posts: 67
edited March 2015 in Road buying advice
I am looking for some advice here please.

What is the best way to attach a GoPro to a road bike? I don't like the helmet attachments as we have more than a few fast descents here, so would like to keep the camera on the bike.

Currently I just have the standard GoPro handlebar/seatpost clamp, but it shows at least one brake lever like in this example https://www.tramuntanacycling.com/en/about/video But when I add an extension there is too much vibration. How do you do it? Any suggestions?

Many thanks.

Comments

• I'd suggest going for one of the K-Edge mounts - they're far more solid than the plastic GoPro ones and allow you to mount the camera further forwards, avoiding the brake levers. You'll also get less camera movement from using an alloy mount.
  • paxington
    paxington Posts: 162
    I bought one of these http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/gopro-handlebar-mount.htm just last week.

It machined aluminum and fits 31.8mm bars came with two different sized sets of step down shims for smaller bars. Quality looks excellent. They do a couple of different versions . I almost went for the one that combines both Garmin and GoPro mounts .
  • Why dont you try the "Chesty", chest mount?
  • paxington wrote:
    I bought one of these http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/gopro-handlebar-mount.htm just last week.

It machined aluminum and fits 31.8mm bars came with two different sized sets of step down shims for smaller bars. Quality looks excellent. They do a couple of different versions . I almost went for the one that combines both Garmin and GoPro mounts .

Thank you very much for the help. I think I might give the combo one a whirl http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/g ... -mount.htm
  • Why dont you try the "Chesty", chest mount?

Thanks for the idea, it would work, but I prefer the GoPro to stay on the road bike. May give it a try on the mountain bike though.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,974
    paxington wrote:

Thank you very much for the help. I think I might give the combo one a whirl http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/g ... -mount.htm

I ordered the Superstar Combo one a day or so ago and just waiting for it to arrive.
    I'm new to the GoPro ( a Christmas present from my son) and have so far just experimented using the Chest harness. I quite like the effect but I suspect I'll use the combo bracket more often if it's successful. Obviously I can't comment yet on what the situation will be with vibration.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • paxington
    paxington Posts: 162
    paxington wrote:

You're very welcome .
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    Just as an fyi I have just taken delivery of the superstar garmin/go pro combined mount.

It's ok, not very light but has great adjustment features so does the job.

The only problem is that it doesn't come with a bolt to mount the go pro which is a pain in the ass. The standard go pro mounts are threaded at one end, this isn't so I need to find a bolt that fits now.
  • dabber
    Do you mean there is no captive nut included?

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • shipley
    Er...not sure what you mean by captive nut but once you fit the go pro by sliding the lugs into place, there is no provided nut and bolt to secure it in place.

I have emailed them to see what their thoughts are
  • dabber
    Don't you use the standard GoPro thumbscrew bolt that comes as part of the camera set? What that would need is a nut to screw it into and tighten. That nut forms part of the GoPro fittings and is embedded into the plastic of their mounts.

If Superstar don't include the nut either as an attached nut or as a separate item that would then need to be sourced.

But perhaps I'm totally misunderstanding?

• shipley
    Nope, you are right but I tried that. The standard go pro bolt is too short, annoyingly. On the standard go pro mounts (dash and helmet mounts etc) the nut is recessed and therefore the bolt is long enough. With this mount there is no recess, so the bolt won't meet the nut.

I will have a dig around my spares at the weekend for a standard bolt. It's a pain, maybe they will respond and tell me they left it out of the kit.
  • dabber
    Ah, not good. I'm still waiting for the delivery of mine. Let's see what I receive.

Thanks for the update.

• http://www.amazon.co.uk/Goliton®-bicycle-motorcycle-aluminum-handlebar/dp/B00GG69KZI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1421268179&sr=8-4&keywords=go+pro+mount+handlebar

These are ace. You remove the allen bolt from the bit the GoPro goes into. Then you use the knurled screw that comes with your go pro. One of the holes is threaded.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • dabber
    Shipley wrote:
    Nope, you are right but I tried that. The standard go pro bolt is too short, annoyingly. On the standard go pro mounts (dash and helmet mounts etc) the nut is recessed and therefore the bolt is long enough. With this mount there is no recess, so the bolt won't meet the nut.

I will have a dig around my spares at the weekend for a standard bolt. It's a pain, maybe they will respond and tell me they left it out of the kit.

I got mine a couple of hours ago and have now fitted it. I haven't had any problem fixing the GoPro and securing it. The SuperStar mount doesn't come with a thumbscrew bolt and I simply used the standard GoPro one that came with the camera. This fitted fine and securely. It doesn't need a nut to secure it. The slotted GoPro bit of the mount has a wider fin on one side of it. This is threaded and the thumbscrew bolt simply screws into that.

My overall impression is positive. The fore and aft position of the brackets is adjustable and the quality of the fittings all look good.

I haven't tried it in anger yet but a quick few yards down the road were positive. Time will tell on the rest.

• tramuntanacycling
    tramuntanacycling Posts: 67
    edited January 2015
    Dabber wrote:
    My overall impression is positive. The fore and aft position of the brackets is adjustable and the quality of the fittings all look good.

I haven't tried it in anger yet but a quick few yards down the road were positive. Time will tell on the rest.

Sounds great. Waiting for mine to arrive here in Mallorca. Did you happen to see if the wide angle lens picked up any hands or bike levers or is the mount long enough to miss them?
  • dabber
    Digger wrote:

Sounds great. Waiting for mine to arrive here in Mallorca. Did you happen to see if the wide angle lens picked up any hands or bike levers or is the mount long enough to miss them?

From the brief test I did there was no sign of the hands or levers appearing in shot. As I said, the bracket can be adjusted fore and aft. In my test I had it biased towards the front but I'll probably bring it back a bit as it only has to accommodate a Garmin 500. In the forward position it cleared the cables.

I never had the GoPro in Superview mode so I don't know whether that might bring the hands into view???

Btw, why is your quote naming me as "Digger"?

• shipley
    Guys I'm sorry I have misled you. I was trying to fit mine yesterday whilst on a conference call.

I looked at it properly today and sure enough there is a threaded end (I had it in back to front yesterday) so as stated above a standard bolt secures it.

This mount is the cheapest I can find in the UK and i would recommend it.

I will get my coat now :)
  • Dabber wrote:
    Dabber wrote:

From the brief test I did there was no sign of the hands or levers appearing in shot. As I said, the bracket can be adjusted fore and aft. In my test I had it biased towards the front but I'll probably bring it back a bit as it only has to accommodate a Garmin 500. In the forward position it cleared the cables.

I never had the GoPro in Superview mode so I don't know whether that might bring the hands into view???

Thanks, am looking forward to trying it.

Just edited my post, not sure why you had a new name!
  • Irohug5
    Irohug5 Posts: 74
    Dabber wrote:
    Digger wrote:

Have you had much chance to test this out yet? Just wondering how it holds up and if there is much flex etc to effect footage? Looking for a gopro mount and having one that also mounts the Garmin would just make it less cluttered. Anyone got a pic of how it looks with both units attached?cheers
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512

Currently I just have the standard GoPro handlebar/seatpost clamp, but it shows at least one brake lever like in this example https://www.tramuntanacycling.com/en/about/video But when I add an extension there is too much vibration. How do you do it? Any suggestions?

Many thanks.

When you adapt the video you can always zoom the footage in to take out the brake lever ?

Personally I quite like it - you know its bike footage.
  • dabber
    Sorry, still haven't used it in Superview mode yet as the weather has been so crap. The last time I used it it was in standard 1080-25 mode. I will try and give a test in Superview soon.
    If I get a chance I'll take a couple of pictures of it in-situ with the GoPro (basic Hero) and Garmin 500.

The stability seemed pretty good. I used a cutdown bit of handlebar tape to go between the bracket and handlebar to both protect the handlebar and give it a bit of cushioning.

• Irohug5
    Dabber wrote:
    Sorry, still haven't used it in Superview mode yet as the weather has been so crap. The last time I used it it was in standard 1080-25 mode. I will try and give a test in Superview soon.
    If I get a chance I'll take a couple of pictures of it in-situ with the GoPro (basic Hero) and Garmin 500.

The stability seemed pretty good. I used a cutdown bit of handlebar tape to go between the bracket and handlebar to both protect the handlebar and give it a bit of cushioning.

Thanks that would be great as same combo as me! Looks good and half the price of the K edge version.
  • dabber
    Just taken some photos but have to go out for a while. I'll post them when I get back.

• Irohug5
    Dabber wrote:
    Just taken some photos but have to go out for a while. I'll post them when I get back.

Great thanks
  • dabber
    OK, just got back. Hope these help....

superstar3_zps097680db.jpg

superstar4_zpsfeea8880.jpg

superstar2_zps07157aa5.jpg

• Irohug5
    That's brilliant thanks for that. Looks much better than I thought it would actually.
  • paxington wrote:
    paxington wrote:

You're very welcome .

Had mine a month now. Works great, even in superview mode. My first thought when it arrived was "Wow, thats heavy". 2nd thought was immediately "that it was very well made". As we know a few grams are neither here nor there!

Thanks again for the info and link to purchase it.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Glad I found this thread as I'm thinking of getting a Go Pro, these mounts look just what I'll need.

What are people's thoughts on the basic Hero? There's some good deals on these at the minute.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • andy46 wrote:
    Glad I found this thread as I'm thinking of getting a Go Pro, these mounts look just what I'll need.

What are people's thoughts on the basic Hero? There's some good deals on these at the minute.

I have the basic Hero as well as the Hero 4 Silver. The basic is just that, basic. Great quality video and pics but, as I found out, the moment you get a little into the using it, the limitations come rushing at you.

This is the best review I have seen out there - http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/11/gopr ... depth.html