Garmin edge 1000 hits on top cap and bolts!

sigorman85
sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
edited January 2015 in Road general
Hi I've just received my de rosa idol disc and was fitting my garmin on it I like to use the 1/4 turn on the stem
Now I have 1 5mm spacer above the stem plus the top cap and when mounting the garmin it hits on the relevant parts has anyone else had this problem?
See pics below

Cheer
Si

0A01F1F6-951A-4696-AD23-7E4D0F81C063_zpsxp33tpuk.jpg

0F2BED9C-CC39-401E-9B84-05C861E29423_zps3mdhlymy.jpg

47F379E2-42D4-4A8D-A317-8DD3CC6EE9F0_zpsjckkjuvx.jpg
When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,887
    No, but helping in my what stem for the masters quest
  • your best solution is going to be an out front mount such as this:http://www.evanscycles.com/products/garmin/extended-out-front-edge-mount-ec073711
    it will solve your problem and also allow you to position the computer at a better angle for you to read as well!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Carbon steerer? If yes then yes you will have that problem.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    nicklouse wrote:
    It wouldn't matter if the steerer was made with fairy dust. The 1000 (I have one!) is too big for the average stem length, hence they are shipped with an out front mount
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    The 1000's are rather large.

You can get mounts like the one linked above a bit cheaper on amazon/ebay. I think you'll want the longer variant.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Look at the Tate Labs out front mounts. If you prefer your's over the stem then they do a MTB version which is meant to go behind the bars rather than 'out front'.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • You could just put the mount on the bars but the garmin would not be in the centre then.

Have you tried it with the spacer under the stem? if that solves the problem you could just cut the steerer so you have no spacer at the top, I had to do this on one of my bikes.
  • Jeez, and I thought my 510 was big.......
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have the same problem with my Edge Touring on my winter bike because of a short stem. I've just put the Garmin mount on the bars instead. At this time of year it looks OK as it kind of balances out the light on the other side.
  • I found that when my Garmin was mounted on the stem I couldn't just glance down so see it, the out front mount solved that and placed it central to the bars too.

Granted mines an 800 so not as big...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Get some frame protectors stickers under those cables!
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Either use the Out Front mount that came with it, or... put the screen in Landscape mode and turn the Garmin 90 degrees.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Or even get some rubber sheet and raise the mount on the stem, if that's where you want it - I had a 705 that I used 2 of the Garmin rubber wedges under to raise it enough to miss stem bolts. But the "out front" type of mounts bare good, and I now use them on both my bikes (atill with a 705 though).
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Put a bit of foam round the stem to raise the height of the mount ? Its not like you'll see it anyway - the Garmin will be blocking it.

Or get a longer stem. :-)
  • Doesn't the 1000 support landscape mode? If so, you could just turn it 90 degrees. Obviously this might look a bit sh!t.
  • sigorman85
    Getting some heli tape fitted tomorrow the bike hasn't been used yet !The ruber space is underneath I sup I could double it up? U just wanted to keep it looking neat ..and yes it is rather large that's why I wanted it on the stem. I'm guessing that it would be fine with a longer stem but that's no use to me as 100mm is for me
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

• izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    If you are going out front and have a 3T stem then the smartest is Tilquist.

You can also get mounts than run off the stem cap so would raise the unit.
  • sigorman85
    I put another bit of the rubber under the 1/4 turn stem mount but when the unit was on it wasn't rigid enough for me and I'm not willing to take the risk of it coming off considering the price of the unit.for the time being I used the out front mount on the opposite side and over the stem so basically it's a out back mount :-) its a bit to flat and hasn't got the correct position for riding but like I said it will do for now

31B4AFE8-CD4A-48DA-90B3-869CB424E179_zpsvbymhala.jpg

EA6A699E-6678-42FC-8C5A-B2E0FE87FB03_zpsuyadyfp0.jpg

8537904D-32FA-4FA4-991E-0AB459FE5D78_zpshulha4b4.jpg

E8E8B08F-CB97-43AA-9F8B-B301B070D035_zpsqthwlbzd.jpg

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    NeXXus wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    It wouldn't matter if the steerer was made with fairy dust. The 1000 (I have one!) is too big for the average stem length, hence they are shipped with an out front mount
    Yes it does.

If the steerer is carbon most makers recomend using a 5mm spacer above the stem do as to not have any clamping forces to close to the edge of the steerer. If it was an alloy steerer you could remove the spacer and place it under the stem or re cut the steerer.

Fairy dust. Sorry don't know the build requirements for that but you seem to so carry on.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • NeXXus
    nicklouse wrote:
    NeXXus wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    Yes it does.

If the steerer is carbon most makers recomend using a 5mm spacer above the stem do as to not have any clamping forces to close to the edge of the steerer. If it was an alloy steerer you could remove the spacer and place it under the stem or re cut the steerer.

Fairy dust. Sorry don't know the build requirements for that but you seem to so carry on.
    No it doesn't. Read the post you quoted...
  • NeXXus wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    NeXXus wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    Yes it does.

Never seen or had a new bike supplied with a spacer above the stem. I get the shop to cut mine once I am happy with the hight after a few rides. I think it looks so much better.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    NeXXus wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    Yes it does.

Never seen or had a new bike supplied with a spacer above the stem. I get the shop to cut mine once I am happy with the hight after a few rides. I think it looks so much better.
    Neither have I :)
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    You might do the first couple of rides at the 'bike fit' bar height, just to make sure it works with your flexibility.

Then pop it back to get it cut.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    I used a K-Edge adjustable stem mount - similar to this:

stem-mount_01.jpg
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Hi sigorman85, I can't understand why you have the Garmin mount that way round as it's an out front mount. I bought one so that I could see my Garmin better out front rather than looking down on the stem. It looks good on the bike out front and much easier to glance at the screen.
  • sigorman85
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    You might do the first couple of rides at the 'bike fit' bar height, just to make sure it works with your flexibility.

Then pop it back to get it cut.

Exactly this

• sigorman85
    Hi sigorman85, I can't understand why you have the Garmin mount that way round as it's an out front mount. I bought one so that I could see my Garmin better out front rather than looking down on the stem. It looks good on the bike out front and much easier to glance at the screen.

I have explained that I prefer it on the stem as I had it on my old planet x