Zipp Firestrike 404 Clinchers

mfin
mfin Posts: 6,729
edited January 2015 in Road general
Two and a half grand is a lot of idiot tax.

Comments

• True,

but there seems to be a hell of a lot of technology in those rims... now they have included silicon carbide in the brake track to improve braking in the wet, which of course is a nice feature... should handle cross winds even better than the previous firecrest too.

It is a premium product that uses the cutting edge technology (at least in the bicycle world)... I am more baffled about sets that cost a grand and use technology which is 10 years old...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Raed all about it!

'Ugo in positive Zipp comment shocker!'

It's pocket change compared to a set of $hiteweights.
  • Raed all about it!

I paid less than that for my Meilensteins. What is it that makes them $hite exactly?....
  • Raed all about it!

I am sure you haven't failed to notice I have used the word "rims" but not the word "wheels". :wink:

As carbon clinchers go, Zipp rims are the best on the market. Wheelbuilder.com have an exclusivity agreement to build them custom... :evil:
  • Raed all about it!

I paid less than that for my Meilensteins. What is it that makes them $hite exactly?....

It was a joke berni - keep the heed. But you've got to admit that in terms of R&D, Lightweight are a bit in the dark ages compared to Zipp. On one hand you're buying hand made, very light carbon wheels with heritage, but not that much in the way of wind tunnel testing blah blah blah. With Zipp you're not that far off the weight, but you have race proven* tech that's always being improved on. Saying that I'd give a left nut for a pair of Schwarts Edition Gipfelsturms :lol:

*I'm aware they used to be used by Pro's but that was back in the mists of time.
  • john1967
    john1967 Posts: 366
    True,

but there seems to be a hell of a lot of technology in those rims... now they have included silicon carbide in the brake track to improve braking in the wet

silicon carbide brake tracks....What the bloody 'ell are silicon carbide brake tracks?! :D
  • john1967 wrote:
    True,

but there seems to be a hell of a lot of technology in those rims... now they have included silicon carbide in the brake track to improve braking in the wet

silicon carbide brake tracks....What the bloody 'ell are silicon carbide brake tracks?! :D

It's a ceramic material with exceptional thermal resistance which is used to manufacture fibres and composites... formula 1 discs are made of silicon carbide. It's probably the most performing material out there
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    john1967 wrote:
    True,

It's the stuff that gives Jeremy Clarkson a 'crisis'.
  • DKay wrote:
    john1967 wrote:
    True,

It's the stuff that gives Jeremy Clarkson a 'crisis'.

I thought that was the N word and Argentinians?
  • Anything that improves braking in the wet on this type of wheel has to be welcomed; it remains the weak point of all wheels of this type, even if my $hiteweights do brake very well in the dry (better than Mavic Ultimates or Zipp 303's)

My take on this is that anyone can build a wheel by lacing spokes to a carbon rim.

But to build a full carbon wheel is not easy and takes a lot of skilled time. I have it on good authority that Mavic struggled big time in their attempts to copy Lightweight's design, and even then, due to high number of rejects, were obliged to put tensionable spokes in the rear (so not a true full carbon).

I've had Ultimates and 303's. The 303's left me a bit cold (pre-Firecrest) but the Ultimates are excellent value for money.

The Mielensteins are a step up from the Ultimates. You can see it in the carbon layup and the hubs, braking, etc. But they are only 10g lighter. In the cold light of day, they are probably not worth the big premium over Ultimates.

Zipp do make some good wheels and these new ones seem interesting, but I can't see how they can justify a price very close to that of Lightweights.*

*$ to Euro has moved by about 20% in the last 3 months.
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    mfin wrote:

A nice constructive post. If you don't like them or can't afford them you needed focus any of your energy on them. A lot of people will hove them and not have an issue buying them.
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    I am going to buy Zipp's because I love the "flicker" effect the white labels give when riding along, Like when I bought my cosmic SLR'S, they had yellow labels and look cool!.. but then I have just got a car because I like the LED headlights!! hahah would love to say I am joking but....
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    BrandonA wrote:
    mfin wrote:

A nice constructive post.

Thanks, I liked it too.