Can I get away with a medium cage rear mech?

richtw
richtw Posts: 118
edited January 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Simple quesion do you think I can get away with a medium cage rear mech?

Running 24-38T double up front and an 11 - 34T out back on a cotic soul? 37T chain wrap is a couple of teeth over the 35 stated by Shimano but it is on a hardtail so no extension to take care of! I have a long cage on at the momemt which works well but looks hugely over kill - oh and keeps hitting everything in site as it is longer than a track pump ;)

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I wouldn't
  • richtw
    richtw Posts: 118
    It's OK I have been assured it works perfectly....
  • Chunkers1980
    Why ask then? I still wouldn't
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As long as you size the chain correctly, the worst that will happen is that it will be a bit slack in small small, which you shouldn't be in anyway.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chunkers1980
    It's a double. All gears should be useable. If you're stuggling and always hitting your long cage mech then a medium is not going to be that different. I'd work on techniques to stop bashing your mech first
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    On a double you should still avoid the two extremes of big big and small small....

I do agree about technique though, will 10mm make that much difference? Also make sure the current chain is sized correctly.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I have a medium cage XT mech with 26/38 at the front and 11-32 at the rear, and it survives the occasional big-big or small-small gear selection. If you can avoid those two extremes, I suspect you'd be OK with your setup.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Chunkers1980
    You're 2 under, he'd be 2 over. Like I said I wouldn't even with a slack chain in small small.